Re: Checkmark / Square Root symbol

Zaheer Sheikh <cybergeek2020@...>

Hey Mike,

I use alt+251 to insert the Square Root symbol. As you already
mentioned, jaws will read it as letter "v". You can add the Square
Root symbol in the default dictionary manager, and then jaws will read
it correctly.

This is how I did it:

1. Open notepad.
2. Press ALT+251, this will insert the Square Root symbol.
3. Note that Jaws will read the Square Root symbol as letter "V".
4. Select and copy the symbol without any spaces.
5. Open the Jaws default dictionary manager from the Jaws utilities submenu.
6. Select the Add button to add new entry in the Dictionary.
6. Paste the symbol in the "Actual word" edit box.
7. Type "Square Root" in the "Replacement word" edit box.
8. Tab to OK.

Hope this helps,

Zaheer Sheikh

On 9/27/11, Adrian Spratt <Adrian@adrianspratt.com> wrote:
Mike,

I don't have a definite answer, but here are three possibilities to
explore:

1. Add 0 before the 251 code. Thus 0251

2. In the past, some listers came to the conclusion that the process you
describe produces not ASCII, but ANSI code. I've just now been looking
around the Net for an ANSI codes list, but I couldn't find an accessible one
quickly. It might be worth a try.

3. I may be reading this wrong, but an ASCII table I just looked at
indicates that the ASCII code for square root isn't 251, but 252.

Let us know if you find an answer.