Re: Catalan Problem Solved

Tom Behler

I hear you, Adrian.

But, at least I know how to fix it now, at least as far as reading and editing documents is concerned.

Happy New Year to all!

Dr. Tom Behler

Sent: Friday, January 01, 2016 12:19 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Catalan Problem Solved

Language detection is off by default in Outlook, on by default in Word.

Gary’s explanation for what happened here makes the most sense. I wish there were a quick and easy way to find and remove such codes because you never know when they’re going to rear their heads again at the worst moments.

Sent: Friday, January 01, 2016 11:31 AM
Subject: Re: Catalyn Problem Solved

Gary:

I have always had language detect change unchecked in Jaws, but the Catalan designation was still spoken in the headings of some of my Word documents until I unchecked the language detect change option in MS Word.

The documents in question are some of my course syllabi, which I have created and modified myself as needed.

The involved headings are headings that I have created or modified over the years, and the Catalan designation just started showing up recently.

I think it might have something to do with the font in the documents, but since I have never gotten any complaints from students or others who use the syllabi, I guess I’ll just leave well enough alone.

It is a very curious issue, however.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2015 5:59 PM

Tom,

When Language Detection is enabled in JAWS, language tags in a Word document or in the HTML code of a web page cause JAWS to speak the name of the language designated by these tags.  Somehow, Catalan language tags have been introduced into your documents.

Did you enter all of the information in the documents yourself, or was some of it copied from other sources such as the Internet?  If these tags were in copied material, they might have been pasted into your documents.

Keep in mind that the Catalan language tags are still in your documents even though you have stopped JAWS from reporting their presence.  I guess if sighted readers of the documents haven't said anything about the headings looking strange though, the presence of the tags don't really matter.

Gary King
w4wkz@...

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2015 3:25 PM

Brian:

The documents in question were copies of some of my course syllabi and initial class handout materials.  And, trust me, no part of them was in Spanish!!  (smile)

What might have triggered the Catalan designation by Jaws is still a mystery to me, although I do wonder if it had something to do with a particular font style or something similar.

The catalan designation was spoken for various headings throughout the documents, and went away when I unchecked the language detect change option in MS Word.

I’m using Windows 7, Office 2010, and Jaws 16 here.

Dr.  Tom Behler

Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2015 1:22 PM

Tom, just for my curiosity, do you have any idea what JAWS was detecting that it thought was in the Catalan dialect of Spanish?   This seems really odd since my presumption is that the documents in question are not in any form of Spanish (and on that I could be entirely wrong).

Brian

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.