Re: Just upgraded to JAWS 17 and have problem ... and planning to move to Windows 10 ...

amit aggarwal <aggarwal.amit444@...>

Hi Jim,
you should use JAWS start up wizzard found under help menu instead of
settings center.
there, you can change many useful settings such as keybord echo,
provacity level to your liking, brail displays (if you have any),
virtual ribuns and more.
note, it automatically launches as soon as you activate JAWS.
as for your windows 10, I would say you can upgrade if you want.
there is really no problems if even you upgrade to it.
I have upgraded and it is running fine.
the JAWS murge utility is no longer available in JAWS.
tell me if you face any problems and I will try to help you.
hope that helps,
amit

Jim,

       Others here can address your JAWS questions far more accurately and
quickly than I can.  I just want to touch on your decision to go to Windows
10.

       If I may ask, what version of Windows are you using now?   Regardless
of your answer to that question, I would strongly suggest that you not move
to Windows 10 for a few months yet.  I have been involved with Windows 10
since the preview period when I joined the Insiders Program.  I am writing
to you right now from a machine running Windows 10, upgraded from 8.1, but
there is no doubt that Windows 10 is still a work in progress.  There have
been more than a few issues that have cropped up secondary to the new "you
will apply every Windows Update" mechanism among others.  I don't think a
jump into Windows 10 is a good idea for anyone, yet, who isn't a "tech geek"
who's pretty darned proficient with troubleshooting and dealing with "late
beta" software.  When you add assistive technology into the mix the
potential for disaster goes way up.

        Once the next major update, code named Redstone I think, comes out
in the spring I'd feel a lot more comfortable about recommending that an AT
user think about making the transition.  Even then, I would tell anyone
who's on a version of Windows earlier than Windows 8 that they are going to
be in for a big shock.  Windows 7 was the last version of Windows that, from
the perspective of the user interface, followed a progressive narrative flow
from each earlier version of Windows into the next.  Windows 8 was a
tectonic shift in the user interface, so much so that I advised any of my
sighted clients that they should definitely only purchase a touch screen
enabled machine to work with it, since it was so geared toward acting "like
a smartphone" with regard to activating apps and the like.  Windows 10 is a
wedding of things we've always known from Windows, like the Start menu, and
elements of the new Metro/tile based interface.  Even the new Start menu is
displayed as a collection of tiles, not as the vertical column of programs
as it had been in all versions of Windows prior to 8.

         I would be fascinated to hear how any early adopters of the
"bleeding edge" version of Windows 10 that we've had since July who are also
AT users are finding working with it.  I personally love Windows 10, but I
was also prepared for all the bumps that I knew would come when Microsoft
rolls out any new version of Windows, and many people simply are not (and,
really, should not have to be, either).  I've been on this ride many times
since I started my first career in information technology all the way back
in 1985.

Brian