Re: CONFUSED! Adobe Reader XI seems to do OCR automatically?

Brad Martin

I'm confused also, as Adobe Reader XI alone won't do this. Perhaps newer versions of JAWS or Windows 10 did it for you. Adobe Reader XI is just an older version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. The latter integrates with Adobe's document cloud, but if you're not using the cloud functions, the two are pretty much similar. Think of DC as more like Adobe Reader XII (12) if they hadn't changed the name, with the newer version integrating features from Adobe's document cloud.

So perhaps JAWS versions newer than 15 are helping you convert those scans. With JAWS 15 and Windows 7, neither DC or XI will do this for me automatically.

Brad

On 12/27/2015 4:15 PM, Peter Tesar wrote:

Hello,

I’m confused. Before, when I opened a recently scanned PDF document, I heard:

    “Alert, empty document”.

I would then use the JAWS OCR to convert the PDF document to text.

Recently I did a clean install of Windows 10, and I needed to download Adobe Reader. I chose XI, not knowing that there was a DC version. The latter is probably what I used to use.

Now when I open the PDF image document, there is no announcement:

  “Alert, empty document”.

The image has been converted to text. Using the JAWS virtual cursor, I can read what can only have been converted with OCR.

Did Adobe Reader XI do the OCR conversion automatically?

What is the difference between adobe XI and DC?

Is there a difference between Adobe Reader and Acrobat Reader?

Maybe there is more than one Adobe Reader, and I don’t know which is which.

Any clarification will be appreciated. Thanks.

Peter T.