Re: How do I append additional items to the clipboard? The JAWS "search for commands" feature

Adrian Spratt

With all these posts in mind, I went through the JAWS “search for commands” process again, and here’s what I find happens.

Like Mike, I have forms mode set to manual, so I must press enter on the edit field in order to enter text. My warning about pressing the return key concerns what happens next. If you press enter while in this field, you’ll be taken right out of the dialog and back to the application where you had focus. So don’t press enter!

Now, there’s a difference in behavior between whether you do or don’t press the PC cursor after typing in your search term.

First, if you don’t press the PC key, you can tab through the results. The up and down arrow keys have no effect.

However, if you do press the PC key, taking you out of forms mode, you can tab through the results but also arrow up and down. It is only with forms mode off that you can read a description of each result.

With forms mode off (that is, after pressing the PC cursor), pressing e will take you to the search field. With forms mode on, this navigation command doesn’t work.

As Dave noted, this help feature does not produce a list until you type in text in the search field, unlike what you’d expect with Windows help. And as Mike said, you must have some idea of JAWS terminology to know what to search for.

Pressing escape takes you out of the dialog.