Re: how do you delete conversations in gmail?

Ryan Coverdell

I can't find the cog button. I am using basic html view. Under
settings here is what I find. I've copied the page. Please look at
this seriously and send back a reply based on what you see on this
page. It is below.

Thanks for your attention,

Ryan

Search Images Maps Play YouTube News Gmail Drive More »

You are currently viewing Gmail in basic HTML. Switch to standard
view | Set basic HTML as default view

Gmail by Google

Show search options
Create a filter

Compose Mail
Folders
Inbox (654)
Starred star
Sent Mail
Drafts (8)
All Mail
Spam
Trash

Contacts

Labels
Edit labels

Settings

General
Accounts
Labels
Filters
Forwarding and POP/IMAP

Setting

Choices

Language: Gmail display language: AfrikaansAzərbaycancaBahasa
IndonesiaBahasa MelayuCatalàČeskýCymraegDanskDeutschEesti keelEnglish
(UK)English (US)EspañolEspañol
(Latinoamerica)EuskaraFilipinoFrançaisFrançais
(Canada)GaeilgeGalegoHrvatskiItalianoIsiZuluÍslenskaKiswahiliLatviešuLietuviųMagyarNorsk
(Bokmål)NederlandsPolskiPortuguês (Brasil)Português
(Portugal)RomânăSlovenskýSlovenščinaSuomiSvenskaTiếng
ViệtTürkçeΕλληνικάБългарскиМонголРусскийСрпскиУкраїнськаՀայերենעבריתاردوالعربيةفارسیनेपाली
(Nepali)मराठीहिन्दीবাংলাગુજરાતીதமிழ்తెలుగుಕನ್ನಡമലയാളംසිංහල
(Sinhala)ภาษาไทยພາສາລາວ (Lao)မြန်မာဘာသာ (Myanmar language
(Burmese))ქართულიአማርኛ (Amharic)ᏣᎳᎩ (Cherokee)ភាសាខ្មែរ (Khmer)中文
(香港)中文 (简体)中文 (繁體)日本語한국어
Maximum page size:
(conversations per page) 1015202550100
Signature:
(appended at the end of all outgoing messages) No Signature

Personal level indicators:
No indicators

Show indicators - Display an arrow ( › ) by messages sent to my
address (not a mailing list), and a double arrow ( » ) by messages
sent only to me.

Vacation responder:
(sends an automated reply to incoming messages. If a contact sends you
several messages, this automated reply will be sent at most once every
4 days)
Learn more Vacation responder off
Vacation responder on
Message:
Only send a response to people in my Contacts

Get Gmail on your mobile phone at http://mail.google.com using your
phone's web browser. Learn more
You are currently using 65 MB (0%) of your 15360 MB
Last account activity: 3 minutes ago on this computer. Details

Gmail view: standard | basic HTML Learn more

Terms - Privacy - Gmail Blog - Google Home

Based upon your post I am presuming you're using Gmail's web interface and
not in its "plain HTML" form.

When you go to Gmail Settings via the "cog" button and look at the General
tab, find "Conversation View" and you'll find two radio buttons associated
with it, one reading "Conversation view on" and the other "Conversation view
off."

When conversation view is on all messages having the same subject, or direct
replies to same, will be grouped together. If you tick the delete box for a
true conversation it will delete all the messages related to that
conversation. Mind you, if someone sends another reply it will often revive
that conversation, but the only unread item will be the new message, and
checking the delete box will wipe it all out again. The revival seems to be
a feature, not a bug, in that it allows you to dig backward for context if
necessary. Conversations are listed in reverse chronological order within
the conversation, with the newest arrival showing first and working backward
by date & time of arrival.

If conversation view is off, each and every message is presented as an
independent item and they are listed in reverse chronological order of
receipt. I find this view maddening, as I've not used any online e-mail
interface nor e-mail client that uses this by default. However, it's been
so long since I set up my Gmail accounts that I do not recall if Gmail sets
conversation view off by default.

Brian