Re: how do you delete conversations in gmail?

Based upon your post I am presuming you're using Gmail's web interface and not in its "plain HTML" form.

When you go to Gmail Settings via the "cog" button and look at the General tab, find "Conversation View" and you'll find two radio buttons associated with it, one reading "Conversation view on" and the other "Conversation view off."

When conversation view is on all messages having the same subject, or direct replies to same, will be grouped together.  If you tick the delete box for a true conversation it will delete all the messages related to that conversation.  Mind you, if someone sends another reply it will often revive that conversation, but the only unread item will be the new message, and checking the delete box will wipe it all out again.  The revival seems to be a feature, not a bug, in that it allows you to dig backward for context if necessary.  Conversations are listed in reverse chronological order within the conversation, with the newest arrival showing first and working backward by date & time of arrival.

If conversation view is off, each and every message is presented as an independent item and they are listed in reverse chronological order of receipt.  I find this view maddening, as I've not used any online e-mail interface nor e-mail client that uses this by default.  However, it's been so long since I set up my Gmail accounts that I do not recall if Gmail sets conversation view off by default.

Brian