Re: VLC

Edited

It appears that all the DVDx, which is what you get to on SourceForge.net, is a joint project of labdv, bsg, and dvdx_dev groups.

When I clicked link for the VLC 2.X with AACS link it opens this page, Play encrypted Blu-ray with VLC 2.x, on which there are two links for downloading items:

and you are instructed to download the first, unzip it (of course), and once you do you'll find a file named spad-setup, which I'd presume is the setup.  There is a slightly older version of the VLC player than is current bundled but you could install over that.  It is the 64-bit version.  The libaacs.dll is included in that install folder as well.  The statement on that page is that there is not a functioning version of this for 32-bit (at least not from them) and this seems to be tied up with playing of Blu-ray only, not other media types including DVD.

Then you are instructed to download the second and run it.  They also suggest you create a shortcut to it so that you can run the updater every once in a while in case there have been updates, though I doubt that's necessary really.  I haven't done any more digging into libbdplus and won't unless someone indicates it must be installed to view the Blu-ray discs available in the USA.

I'm at a disadvantage here because I have no Blu-ray discs and none of the computers in my house, including this one, has a Blu-ray compatible player in it.

P.S.  Even Sourceforge has started the loathsome practice of hosting software that bundles other stuff you may not want when you install it.  I am strongly suggesting that, as a general rule, people install Unchecky to try to protect themselves from unexpected installations of potentially unwanted programs bundled with others.  I have not yet tried Unchecky with JAWS, but if the two play well together it will be a very worthwhile addition to your system.

Brian