Re: VLC

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Another program that loves to jump in there, if you have it, is Roxio Burn.  that's the one I find most annoying, so I'll consider your suggestion, Brian. the silly thing keeps popping up, hindering Power DVD's performance even further.  It’s a really cool program, though, when used as intended.

Ted

From: Brian Vogel [mailto:britechguy@...]
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2015 1:31 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: VLC

Kevin,

        I know you didn't address this to me, but I can tell you the answer - File Associations.

        How you get to these varies slightly depending on which version of Windows you're running, but generally you get to this via the Default Programs option in Control Panel.  There you can specify which programs open which specific file types.  When certain things (e.g., PowerDVD) are installed they will automatically associate file types they can play with themselves.  Often when you install another program that can handle the same files it will ask you as part of your installation process whether you'd like to set it as the default player for a list of file types (or all media files).  When you answer in the affirmative it does the changing of the file associations as part of the install.

         If you want to tweak just what opens a single file type or a couple of specific file types use the Default Programs settings to do that.

Brian