Re: VLC

Mario

plus, bluray offers a higher capacity of 25 gigabytes and more, depending on the physical and formatting.

On 12/18/2015 9:27 AM, Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) wrote:
The sound is usually presented in one or more lossless formats, rather than one of the algorithms commonly used on DVD’s. Also, I guess we have to think in terms of long-term availability. Some new titles are coming out on both, but I expect that will change over time.

Ted

From: Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. [mailto:kramlinger.keith@mayo.edu]
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2015 9:21 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: VLC

Hi,

I’m just curious what BluRay advantage may be for visually-impaired users. I always thought it was just a visual thing and wouldn’t be of interest or value to me. Is this wrong?

Thanks, Keith

From: Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS) [mailto:Ted.Lisle@ky.gov]<mailto:[mailto:Ted.Lisle@ky.gov]>
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2015 8:17 AM
To: jfw@groups.io<mailto:jfw@groups.io>

My drive will play them, so that’s not a problem. It’s just that it’ll only use PowerDVD—‘nuff said. However, Blu-ray support was one of the improvements touted in the current edition. What we really need as a manual! I have 5 titles--Hitchcock’s “The Birds,” and a four-pack called “Giants of Steam.” Man alive, I’d like to hear those four over a real system one of these days!

Ted

Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 11:45 PM

Hi Ted,
I need to get a blu-ray to try it out for myself. I thought I found directions for playing blu-rays, but I cannot find those instructions. Also, I do not think my DVD drive on my computer will play blu-rays. I have a feeling that VLC will play blu-rays, but I cannot test it out for my self, and I can no longer find the instructions for how to do so. I will let you guys know as soon as I can, because I would love to know for sure myself. Have a great one.

Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 1:36 PM

Okay, David, at the risk of being tiresome, what has to be done to play a Blu-ray? Also, how does one activate the resume feature. This program even plays MASH gracefully, and, as several veterans of this list will attest, that’s high praise, indeed.

Ted

From: David Moore [mailto:jesusloves1966@gmail.com]<mailto:[mailto:jesusloves1966@gmail.com]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 5:55 PM

Hi,
My name is David Moore, and I use VLC media player exclusively. It can play all files of audio, and stream video, and play DVDs and Blue Rays. VLC has many key commands that can be used to control what you are doing. Since VLC is open source, There are always add-ons coming out that can make VLC much more accessible each week. Just a few of the commands are holding down shift and pressing right and left arrow fast forwards or rewinds by a tiny amount. Holding down ctrl and doing the same thing, forwards and rewinds a bit more. Also, Ctrl + up and down arrow increases and decreases the volume. Num pad plus, speeds up the speech, and num` pad minus slows down the speech. It is the best media player out there by far and the most versatile. It plays DVDs so well and it is so easy to play them with VLC. Please ask me any questions. Have a great one.

Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2015 5:40 PM

Uh, to give a little more info, vlc is an audio—I think it’s also a video—player similar to winamp or windows media player.
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2015 4:35 PM
VLC is a open source media player

From: Elise Berkley [mailto:bravaegf@hotmail.com]<mailto:[mailto:bravaegf@hotmail.com]>
Sent: Thursday, 10 December 2015 6:23 AM

Hello, Jim and all members of this list. My name is Elise Berkley and I am new to the list. Jim, or anyone, can you explain what VLC is? I have never heard of this program, and I like to know everything – laugh, laugh!! Thanks.
Elise
Life doesn't imitate art; it imitates bad television. --Woody Allen

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.