Re: Very Strange Issue With Old Windows XP Computer

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

Uh oh, could be the hard drive or the battery on the motherboard.  Have there been power surges or similar phenomena?  Get sighted help, and see if Windows will do a restart-repair.  If not, you are probably looking at a hardware failure of some kind, especially on a machine that old.  If your last shutdown was normal, it’s probably not Windows-related.  I’ve had this happen both at home and at work.

If you haven’t resolved the problem by the time you see this, we could go off list.

Ted

Sent: Saturday, December 12, 2015 10:56 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Very Strange Issue With Old Windows XP Computer

Hello, everyone.

I have an old Windows XP computer that I use for logging as a ham radio operator, and I have just experienced a very strange problem with this computer.

The computer worked fine last night, but this morning, when I turn on the computer, I can’t get to any of the programs on the machine.

If I turn on the computer, I can hear the hard drive start to engage, but after waiting for a few seconds, nothing happens, other than a double beep which I’m sure  indicates something. … Jaws will not come up, so I can’t read the screen.  And, I don’t have any sighted assistance here to look at the screen.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing before, and if so, can you tell me what might of happened?  Most important, how do you get the computer back into normal operation?

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.