Re: JAWS 17 and punctuation verbosity settings.

Lisle, Ted (CHFS DMS)

One thing about the apostrophe, if you nullify  it altogether, you may get some strange results on contractions.  I tried that once, and had to back off.

Ted

From: Mike B. [mailto:mb69mach1@...]
Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 3:28 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: JAWS 17 and puntuation verbosity settings.

Hi LeDon,

Note: The apostrophy  & dollar sign are only examples.

You can change how Jaws speaks the apostrophy in the Settings Centter
default all applications by doing the following.  If you only want to change
the punctuation settings in a particular application just open the Settings
Center while in the particular application by pressing Insert + 6, on the
number row above the main keyboard to open the Settings Center:
1. Press Insert + 6, on the number row above the main keyboard to open the
Settings Center, & press, Control, shift, + D, to open default all
applications.
2. Arrow down to, Punctuation closed & press right arrow to open.
3. Arrow down to customize punctuation & press the spacebar to open.  Don't
press enter here, if you press enter instad of the spacebar, the Settings
Center will close.
4.A. When making changes in the customize punctuation list, if you do not
want
Jaws to speak/recognize a particular punctuation mark you want to choose the
" all " selection.  You will have 4 radio buttons to arrow up or down
through.  They are none, some, most, & all.  In these selections they work
backwards than what you would think.  For example;  If you choose " none "
for the dollar sign, Jaws will speak / recognize every dollar sign in
whatever you are reading.  On the other hand, if you choose the " all "
radio button, Jaws will not speak / recognize any dollar signs.

4.B. After you pressed the spacebar on customize punctuation, you are now in
a list of punctuation marks.  Arrow down the list and when
you have the punctuation mark you want to change highlighted, tab 1 time to
the radio buttons that I mentioned earlier.
5. Keeping in mind what I mentioned earlier about these choices working
backwards, select the box in this list, in your case not wanting any
apostrophy's spoken, choose the all button.
6. Now, if you want to make a change to another punctuation mark, shift tab
back to the list and highlight a different punctuation mark, tab back to the
radio buttons and select the box you prefer.
7. After you are done making your changes tab to okay and press the
spacebar.
8. Tab to apply, press the spacebar, tab to okay, press the spacebar to save
your changes & close the Settings Center.

Now, I hope that you are not as confused as I am after typing all of this.
LOL  Hope this has helped.

Take care.
Mike