Re: Introducing myself & question on Google Voice with JAWS

Cristóbal

I used to do this back in the day, but it’s been a long time since I’ve tried as I simply have calls forwarded to my cell or Skype number as I found that way to be more efficient instead of always having to have a specific Gmail window open only for  incoming calls.

I recall it involved turning the virtual cursor off and tabbing like crazy or using the jaws cursor to click on the  answer button. Hanging  up was a simple press of the escape key.

Ingeneral though, I found IE to be an easier screen reader experience than Firefox. Mainly due to the fact that with Firefox, Jaws kept on announcing the call timer which made trying to do anything else pointless.

She’ll probably be better off just forwarding incomving GV calls to another line. She can  set the incoming caller ID to the GV number if she wants to know when an incoming call is to her actual number or the GV number.

I’m a big time GV user and find the service to be very useful.

Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 10:48 AM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Re: Introducing myself & question on Google Voice with JAWS

The last time I try it was not accessible!

You can probably use HSP, http://www.hotspotclicker.org/HotSpotClicker.html

Jonas Voll
Support Technician I
Envision, Inc.
2301 S Water ST
Wichita, KS 67213
O: 316-425-7141
F: 316-267-4312
www.envisionus.com

Envision: To improve the quality of life and provide inspiration for the blind and visually impaired through employment, outreach, rehabilitation, education and research.

Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 12:35 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Fwd: Introducing myself & question on Google Voice with JAWS

Hello,

My name is Brian Vogel and one of the things I do is tutor individuals who are new to JAWS and, typically, new or new-ish to being blind or vision impaired.  I think the earliest version of JAWS I ever dealt with is 10, and I have clients who are on version 16 that I will be updating to version 17 in the near future.  Since I am sighted, I do not use JAWS myself on a day to day basis so it's not something that is "just like breathing" to me and I know that those who actually use it as their primary access method to their computers know infinitely more about the little tricks that make using JAWS an easier experience.

One of my clients is beginning an internship and she wanted a phone number that her clients could call that was neither her home number or cell phone number.  I suggested that we set up a Google Voice number for her since she has a Google account.  Since I've done this before getting the Google Voice phone number set up as well as having her record her personal greeting, etc., went perfectly well.  I have her set up to receive e-mail regarding missed calls as well as transcriptions of her voicemail messages.  The latter messages also contain a direct link that one can click to listen to that specific voicemail message.

The issue is actually answering an incoming call from Google Voice with JAWS (I should add right now we're using JAWS 14).  When a call comes in a pop-up is presented at the lower left corner of the screen that has what appear to be two buttons, Answer and Decline.  Those buttons, though, aren't really buttons if you listen to JAWS, but appear to be links.  In any case, when the pop-up pops up JAWS clearly recognizes its presence because it announces, "Incoming call," which is the text shown near the buttons/links in the pop-up.  However, I have been completely unable to determine a way to access those buttons/links while the call is ringing to allow her to actually choose to answer it or decline it.

Freedom Scientific Technical Support suggested I post here, as they have no answer to this question and said they have no experience with using any version of JAWS with Google Voice.

If anyone can offer me any suggestions as to what I might try, or knows the answer regarding how to actually answer or decline an incoming call from Google Voice, I would love to hear it.   Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Brian Vogel

-- 

Bri the Tech Guy          http://britechguy.com
britechguy@...            
(540) 324-5032 or (540) 849-0023                            

"If it's got you screaming, I'll help you stop!!"

DoubleCheck identified this as CLEAN. Give feedback: This is SPAM · More

NOTICE: This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer system.

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.