Re: Creating a short cut to open a program not on your desktop

Adrian Spratt

I made an error in the instructions I posted yesterday, which came to me in the middle of the night. IN step 6, press alt-enter, not control-enter. My apologies. I've made the correction in both places in the message copied below.

here are the steps for creating a shortcut in Windows 7.

1. Press the Windows key.

2. up arrow once and press enter on all apps.

3. Press the up or down arrow once to get into the programs list, then use first-letter navigation to locate the program that you want to set the short cut for.

4. If the program name is announced along with the word "closed," press right arrow to open it.

5. There may be several options here, such as uninstall. The program itself will have the name of the program without any additional wording or letters.

6. Once you have focus on the program, press alt-enter to bring up preferences. In every instance I've encountered, you will land in the shortcut dialog.

7. tab to the edit field and enter your choice of shortcut. If you want a shortcut that includes the control and alt keys, just enter the letter. Otherwise, press the entire combination, such as control-shift-c.

8. No need to tab to the OK button. Just press enter to exit the dialog.

Now you have a shortcut that will work from anywhere in your computer, unless you're in an application that has assigned that same shortcut to an application-specific function. For example, my IE shortcut is control-alt-I, which doesn't work in MS Word because that key combination performs a Word function.

It's even easier when the program has an icon on the desktop. Skip steps 1 through 5. Just place focus on the icon, press alt-enter (step 6) and pick up with step 7.