Re: Windows 10 difference, autoplay not working, or is it in another form?

Steve Griffiths

Hi Peter,

A couple of things you could try.

When you hear the musical tone, press Windows + V and you may hear a new notification message; on some of these you can press Space to get a list of actions you can take. This worked on Windows 8 and, for me, it works on Windows 10 when I plug in a USB drive. I don't have a DVD player on my machines to test.

The other thing is to go to the Start menu and search on Autoplay. The first result should take you to the Autoplay area in which you can do a lot more than turn it on - you can Tab through it and get options for all kinds of situations where new media is attached, and choose a default action for each of them.

You should only get the notification message, which I've heard some people refer to as a toast, if there isn't a default action to take for whatever you've just plugged in.

Steve

---
Steve Griffiths
Senior Assistive Technology Assistant