Re: Windows 10 difference, autoplay not working, or is it in another form?

Steve Griffiths

Hi Peter,

A couple of things you could try.

When you hear the musical tone, press Windows + V and you may hear a new notification message; on some of these you can press Space to get a list of actions you can take. This worked on Windows 8 and, for me, it works on Windows 10 when I plug in a USB drive. I don't have a DVD player on my machines to test.

The other thing is to go to the Start menu and search on Autoplay. The first result should take you to the Autoplay area in which you can do a lot more than turn it on - you can Tab through it and get options for all kinds of situations where new media is attached, and choose a default action for each of them.

You should only get the notification message, which I've heard some people refer to as a toast, if there isn't a default action to take for whatever you've just plugged in.

Steve

---
Steve Griffiths
Senior Assistive Technology Assistant
Working from home in Lancaster
E: steve.griffiths@guidedogs.org.uk
T: 0746 871 1921

-----Original Message-----
From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Peter Tesar via Jfw
Sent: 12 November 2015 02:42
To: The Jaws for Windows support list. <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Cc: Peter Tesar <ptesar@ca.inter.net>
Subject: Windows 10 difference, autoplay not working, or is it in another form?

Hello,

In Windows 10, I have auto play on. When a music CD is inserted or a USB penn drive connected, all I hear is a musical tone. There is no dialogue prompting me what to do with this device. I'm told there is a brief notificationcontaining the word "tap". This might be from Windows 8 which was gearedto the touch screen tablet devices.

A setup disk, like MS Office 2013, will not start the setup process. I have to go into "This PC" to activate the drive,and then search for a setup.exe file.

How do JAWS users handle this?

In Windows 7, we heard the "click this balloon" message and the JAWS numpad slash could activate it. Since using Windows 10, I have not yet heard a "click this balloon" message.

Peter T.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.the-jdh.com/pipermail/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com/attachments/20151111/c68d305e/attachment.html>

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG. A company limited by
guarantee registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales
(209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Tel: 0118 9835555
Email: guidedogs@guidedogs.org.uk

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.