Re: Chrome is Useless!

ratshtron <northstar1950@...>

hmmm, i switched to crome as well because with ie it was very sluggish and firefox started placing ads at the bottom the pages that would make my litetalk go crazy with speaking stuff not on the screen. crome does work great for me as well.

Legend has it that on Wednesday 11/11/2015 04:57 AM, Adrian Spratt via Jfw said:
Hi, Brad.

I began experimenting with Chrome as a skeptic, but it works so fast that I've kept experimenting and just yesterday made it my default. My system is Win7, 64-bit, and I'm using the latest release of JAWS 16. The last thing I want is to be a crusader on something like this, but let me just comment on two of your points.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying with your first point. But even if Chrome isn't asking if you want it to be your default, you can make it so by pressing enter on "settings" in the menu, then searching for default on the Google page that comes up.

As for your third point, Firefox is not named when I press insert-q.

I haven't tried to make another browser my default after doing so for Chrome, so I can't comment on your fourth and fifth points.

Still, while claims that Chrome is "fully" accessible are exaggerated, it isn't "useless." It seems to me that all three main browsers present accessibility problems, and it's a question of picking your poison. A lot might depend on how a particular browser works with the websites a screenreader user tends to visit most often. But I'm perplexed Why Firefox and Chrome should be interacting with each other on your system to the detriment of Chrome.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Brad Martin via Jfw
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2015 12:02 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Brad Martin
Subject: Chrome is Useless!

Curious about all the hubbub on this list (I hadn't read my Email in a
week), I installed Google Chrome. Here are my observations:

1. Chrome never asked me a question, never asked if I wanted it to be my
default browser, made itself my default--at least on the account under
which I installed it, but otherwise was OK.

2. The first time it opened, it felt remarkably like Firefox, except of
course for the single menu, which was fine.

3. Pressing Insert Q told me that the settings JAWS had loaded were for
Firefox, although I was using Chrome. Kind of interesting.

4. Now that I've told Firefox to resume being the default browser,
Chrome can't decide whether it wants to open on my Admin account or not.
Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

5. On my personal user account, Chrome will not open. Period. Makes it
kind of hard to browse the web. Right click. Double Click. Enter. Nothing.

So I would say the one time it worked, it was fine, although it actually
felt slower than Firefox for me, but I didn't get much chance to play
with it before it went on strike. I'll keep it for another day and see
if it decides to work again, but otherwise, I'm trashing it. I don't
need the dead weight.

--
Brad Martin
My Facebook page where I post online shopping coupons and deals: