From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Peter Tesar via Jfw
Sent: 05 November 2015 01:53
To: jfw@lists.the-jdh.com
Cc: Peter Tesar <ptesar@ca.inter.net>
Subject: Re: Just switched to WORD 2013, any more hot keys suggestions?

Hello,

The response Steve gave is exactly what I wanted. To bring up an edit box into which I can type a text file name. This is a file that was not recently opened by WORD.

Steve has 1 mistake. the"alt, f" should be alt together with f.

To get to the WORD Options:
alt+f
arrow down to the "save" tab
tab 7 times to back stage
activate the check box
ESCAPE (to quit) or ENTER (to save settings and quit).

I still get:
back stage view no open document
when starting WORD.
I have to press ESCAPE to get:
document 1, print view, edit

Then the ctrl+o brings up the familiar File Name edit box.

Peter T

On 2015-11-03 4:52 AM, Steve Griffiths via Jfw wrote:
Carolyn and others,

By default the Ctrl-O keystroke in Word 2013 takes you to the backstage view, but you can turn that off so that it opens the familiar Open dialogue instead.

You need to open the Word Options dialogue with Alt, F, T. DownArrow to Save, then Tab to "Don’t show the Backstage when opening or saving files". Press Space to check it and Enter to close the dialogue.

You should now be able to use Ctrl-O as you used to in earlier versions of Word. If you want to use the Backstage view, you can still get to it with Alt, F, O.

Steve

---
Steve Griffiths
Senior Assistive Technology Assistant
Working from home in Lancaster
E: steve.griffiths@guidedogs.org.uk
T: 0746 871 1921

On 2015-11-01 9:35 AM, Ann Byrne via Jfw wrote:
If you remember the commands from Word 2003, you can use most of them.
But you can't open a menu and select one. So to get to the format
paragraph dialog, you have to type alt-o, then p. To get to 'change
case', it's alt-o, then e. Save-as is alt-f, then a, or f12.

Good luck! the transition is a stinker, but eventually it's manageable.
At 07:05 AM 11/1/2015, you wrote:
You can change the font by pressing Alt-O-F or Shift Control-F or,
best of all, Control D, which always has been delete - go figure. I
learned the second and third commands from listers. I too jumped
from
2003 to 2013. Actually, I had a brief stint with 2010, which is
about the same as 2013.

Bye for now,

Carolyn