Re: Borders in Excel

Steve Griffiths

HI Kevin,

That sounds like there is an error in your macro which the dialogue is giving you the chance to correct. When you've pressed the debug button, you should be in a window where your focus is on the line containing the error. Because this window will contain the code that underpins the macro, it can be quite different and more complicated than the series of keystrokes I gave to record the macro. It may be easier to simply create a second macro with a different name and keyboard shortcut.

Steve
---
Steve Griffiths
Senior Assistive Technology Assistant
Working from home in Lancaster
E: steve.griffiths@guidedogs.org.uk
T: 0746 871 1921

-----Original Message-----
From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Kevin Hourigan via Jfw
Sent: 26 October 2015 04:29
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.' <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Cc: Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: Borders in Excel

Hello Steve,
Thank you for your response.
I did as instructed, but when I press control q I get a dialog called Microsoft Visual Basics, with a debug button, an end button, and a help button. If I press enter on the debug button, and press alt F4, I exit the dialog. After this the cell does indeed have the desired red border, but is there a way to eliminate the visual basics dialog, please?
Thanks again,
Kevin.

From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Steve Griffiths via Jfw
Sent: October-23-15 8:51 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list. <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Cc: Steve Griffiths <Steve.Griffiths@guidedogs.org.uk>
Subject: RE: Borders in Excel

Hi Kevin,

In case you're still interested, read on, but it's a lengthy message!

I was able to do this with a macro in Excel 2013 on Windows 7 using JAWS 16.
I don't use the virtual ribbon. If you have different versions, or you use the virtual ribbon, the specific keystrokes may change. Here's what I did.

I had previously made sure the Developer tab was available on the ribbon in Excel - it's not by default. To check whether it's there, press Alt to go to the upper ribbon, then RightArrow across. For me, it's just after the View tab. If it's not there, you need to go into the Options dialogue to turn it on. The keytips for this are Alt, F, T.

DownArrow to Customize Ribbon and then Tab to "Ribbon Tree view Excel Options Home open". DownArrow to Developer. There is a checkbox next to it which JAWS does not announce. Press Space to toggle the setting - JAWS doesn't announce it. Press Enter to close the dialogue and check the ribbon again - the Developer tab should now be there.

Next, open a spreadsheet. Go to the Developer tab with Alt, L, and Tab to "use relative reference". If it's not announced as "checked", press Space to check it. For me, this option defaults to unchecked every time I start Excel.

Checking the option removes you from the ribbon, so press Alt, L to get back to the Developer tab and choose Record Macro, keytip R

A dialogue opens. You have to give your macro a name which has to start with a letter (not a number or punctuation mark) and must not contain spaces.

Tab to the shortcut key edit. All you can specify is a letter. The modifier is already set as Ctrl and can't be changed. I choose Q usually, because it's easy to find!

Tab once more to a "Store macro in" combo box and set it to Personal Macro Workbook if you want it to be available for other spreadsheets.

OK the dialogue and you're finally ready to record the steps you need!
Press Ctrl+1 to open the Format dialogue.
RightArrow to the Border tab
Tab once to the Style list, and DownArrow to "double", which is the last one, and press Space to select it.
Tab once to Line Colour and press Space to open the Colour picker. This is an array and there are a number of ways to navigate it to the colour of your choice. For red, I UpArrow twice to the Standard colour list, then LeftArrow four times. Press Space bar to select it.
Tab twice to the Presets Outline button, and Space to press it.
Press Enter to close the dialogue.

Now stop recording the macro with Alt, L, R - the same keytips you use for start recording.

And that should be it!

In my experience, if you press the keystroke on the wrong cell, you can't press Ctrl+Z to undo it. If you realise you've made a mistake immediately, you can press Ctrl+1 and you're on the right page of the dialogue, so it's just a matter of tabbing to the Presets None button and pressing it.

Last thing to mention is that if you stored the macro in the Personal Macro Workbook, this is a hidden workbook that opens every time you run Excel. To make changes or delete the macro, you have to open Excel, go to the View tab and press Unhide - Alt, W, U. Then you can use Alt+F8 to get to the Macro dialogue and change or remove it.

Have fun!
Steve

---
Steve Griffiths
Senior Assistive Technology Assistant
Working from home in Lancaster
E: steve.griffiths@guidedogs.org.uk
T: 0746 871 1921

From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Kevin Hourigan via Jfw
Sent: 06 October 2015 20:32
To: The Jaws for Windows support list. <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Cc: Kevin Hourigan <kevinthourigan@gmail.com>
Subject: Borders in Excel

Hello Listers,
Is there a way to set up a keystroke to create a double red border around a particular cel in Excel, please?
Thanks Kevin.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
<http://lists.the-jdh.com/pipermail/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com/attachments/201510
06/46eadb3d/attachment.html>

Sponsor or attend the 2015 Guide Dogs Annual Awards on Wednesday 9th December at the London Hilton on Park Lane and help us celebrate all things Guide Dogs!

http://www.guidedogs.org.uk/news/national-events/guide-dogs-annual-awards-20
15/#.Vh-kczZ0xHh

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG. A company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales
(209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Tel: 0118 9835555
Email: guidedogs@guidedogs.org.uk

Sponsor or attend the 2015 Guide Dogs Annual Awards on Wednesday 9th December at the
London Hilton on Park Lane and help us celebrate all things Guide Dogs!

http://www.guidedogs.org.uk/news/national-events/guide-dogs-annual-awards-2015/#.Vh-kczZ0xHh

The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
Registered Office: Hillfields, Burghfield Common, Reading, Berkshire, RG7 3YG. A company limited by
guarantee registered in England and Wales (291646) and a charity registered in England and Wales
(209617) and Scotland (SC038979).

Tel: 0118 9835555
Email: guidedogs@guidedogs.org.uk

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.