Re: keystrokes vs virtual ribbons

Pablo Morales

Well, I see a lot of advantages using the virtual ribbons, especially when
we are trying to teach someone how to use office with jaws. If we say to a
blind person that is not familiar with MS Excel, press tab repeatedly until
you hear "Calculate Sheet Button
It doesn't make any sense at all, they are not understanding where is it,
they are not understanding why this item is there, just they are
understanding that calculate formula button is something that is there, and
that they need to press tab many times until they hear calculate formula
button.
Now, it is very time consuming, and it reduces efficiency .
Of course, we can remember the keystrokes, but how many keystrokes do we
need to remember then?
Isn't it better that we have an idea about where something is, and we get
there with keystrokes, and just with up or down arrow we find what we need?
It is time consuming, but a lot less than pressing tab many times.
Moreover, if we are reading a manual, the manuals are created for sighted
people, they are going to say, go to clipboard and click on copy format, the
manuals are not going to say press tab 16 times and press enter on copy
format.
I am not saying that virtual ribbons are great, because they are not that
great, but it is important to understand the structure of the ribbons, and
it would be good that we are allow to use keystrokes when we are using the
virtual ribbons, it will improve our efficiency a lot.
And efficiency is something that can give us a job, or not.