From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Adrian
Spratt via Jfw
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2015 12:55 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list. <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Cc: Adrian Spratt <Adrian@AdrianSpratt.com>
Subject: RE: keystrokes vs virtual ribbons

Hi, Pablo.

I have Office 2010. There are three ways I work with or around the
ribbons:

1. Use shortcuts wherever possible when I remember them. control-c for
copy is an obvious one. There are many. If you don't already have a list
of keyboard shortcuts, you can locate more than one with a Google search.

2. You may have noticed that as you tab through the ribbons, JAWS
verbalizes individual letters at many functions. They tell you which
letters to press in order to go directly to those functions in the
future. I admit they can be a little misleading. Specifically, one
sequence might begin "h," when it really means alt-h, followed by the
non-alt letters it identifies. Still, with this limitation in mind, they
are a help.

3. Explore the ribbons with the objective of figuring out how they're
organized. The one that's best laid out in Word 2010 is the alt-f "file
menu." After pressing alt-f, instead of beginning by tabbing, arrow down
through what is a general list. Once you've absorbed the list, tab from
any item that interests you for specifics.

I maintain a Word document that I constantly update where I list
functions and shortcuts, along with tricks of the trade. If I haven't yet
memorized a shortcut, this document enables me to find it with a quick
search.

I hope this gives you a slightly more positive approach to the ribbons.