Re: Using JAWS & Dragon Naturally Speaking at the same time

HAMILTON

Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Ed Marquette
via Jfw
Sent: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 4:14 AM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.' <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Cc: Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: Using JAWS & Dragon Naturally Speaking at the same time

Sorry to be so late here. I use Dragon Naturally Speaking all the
time.
It is truly fantastic, and I do not use J-SAY.
I have an expired license for J-SAY, and it might be useful on my
home computer.
I cannot use it, however, on my work computer, and I'm afraid
anyone who tries to use J-SAY in a highly secure work environment
will have troubles.
I gave up on J-SAY after an aborted attempt by our IT Department
to install it.
It may have been J-SAY's copy protection system, or it may have
been our hyper-secure environment.
The two never played well together, and finally, did not play with
each other at all.
Perhaps J-SAY has relaxed its copy protection scheme. I know our
security restrictions are now at least 3 times higher.
I, therefore, use Naturally Speaking with JAWS by itself.
Training is a little challenging, as I recall, though training
persists from version to version.
There are some settings that are pretty crucial, but if you get
the settings right, you should be fine.
The problem is that I no longer have the documentation for optimal
use. I would send the settings documentation if I had it.
One thing I do remember is that Naturally Speaking must be
operated from the System Tray.
There is also a screen-reader friendly mode, and that helps with
menus. Without J-SAY, you will not hear JAWS read back text as
you dictate. That takes some getting used to, but reviewing the
text, using the keyboard, is pretty easy, and Dragon Naturally
Speaking is now, almost as advertised, 98% accurate.
It won't be that accurate immediately, but over time, it improves.
So, do not give up on it after only a couple of days.