Re: Use of virtual ribbons and keyboard manager

Dave...

Daniel,

The Virtual Ribbon gives the look and feel of the traditional menu structure
that existed before the Ribbon was introduced. It is a band-aid approach to
hiding the Ribbon behind a similar interface. However the Virtual ribbon
does not have the quick key capability that existed in the old traditional
menus, so it's not an exact replacement. If you've become familiar with the
Ribbon structure, you're probably better off not bothering with the virtual
ribbon.

Another problem is that if you should be using another computer for a time,
such as in a library, and you are using virtual ribbons, you're going to be
hampered by not having that crutch available. And the virtual ribbon is only
a JAWS artifact, so NVDA and Window-Eyes would not have it, to the best of
my knowledge.

And I for one see no point in being able to switch back/forth between them
as a toggle function; you either use them or you don't. But that's just my
opinion, which is subject to criticism.\

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and pioneer