Re: Safely Remove Hardware question

Mario

by just yanking the USB flash drive from it's port when the job is done can suffer electrical instabilities over time, eventually shortening it's lifespan. it can also, and probably will, cause premature loss of data and/or corruption.
always use the "safely remove" icon in the notification area/system tray.

On 8/20/2015 9:37 AM, Tom Behler via Jfw wrote:
Dave:

I appreciate your insights here.

Like you, I would always just wait until I was sure everything was saved,
copied, etc., and then would remove my USB device.

However, I then started getting suggestions that it was still good to use
the safely remove option, so am just trying to get a feel for the territory
here.

I guess this is one of those topics on which opinions will vary.

Dr. Tom Behler from Michigan

-----Original Message-----
From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Dave Carlson
via Jfw
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2015 12:47 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Dave Carlson
Subject: Re: Safely Remove Hardware question

Tom,

I've only used it once, and found it irritating and useless. When I copy or
paste to a USB Thumb drive, I just wait until I'm able to navigate through
the list of files on that drive, and then I know I can pull it out.

If you're using an external disc or hard drive, you might want to make sure
that there are no programs running that are accessing the drive before
disconnecting -- that might be the one and only time I'd consider using the
feature. Use JAWS+F11 to get to the system tray, arrow to "safe to remove"
item and press enter.

Dave Carlson
Oregonian, woodworker, Engineer, Musician, and pioneer