Re: dual source headsets, where to get?

Ed Marquette <marquette.ed@...>

I hesitate to mention this because you either have to be a sound
geek or know someone who is, but I solved the problem with a 16
channel (probably overkill) mixer board and an ordinary Beats
headset with microphone.
I wanted to be able to put the phone in one ear and the computer
in the other, be able to switch them, and be able independently to
increase or decrease the sound volume. That allows me to
negotiate clauses in contracts, listening to JAWS mostly in one
ear, while listening to the phone in the other ear.
That, however, is only the beginning. I also wanted to be able to
send the sound (either the phone or JAWS) through external
speakers, entirely independently. Then, I wanted to be able to
switch between using the headset microphone either to talk on the
phone or to dictate to my computer using Dragon Naturally
Speaking.
Finally, I wanted to be able independently to answer either my
regular desk phone or my iPhone, using the iPhone in the same way
that I used my desk phone. In theory, this should have worked,
and I did get all of it working -- except the iPhone.
I got as far as I could, but was then stumped. I have two sons,
one an electrical engineer who designs radar for the Air Force,
and the other, a mechanical engineer who designs cars for Honda.
Not everyone has that luxury, hence my hesitation.
I ended up employing both of them to get as far as I ultimately
did. The iPhone integration may still happen -- next Christmas
Vacation. <SMILE>
Of course, this set-up is permanent. Once everything is wired,
you don't ever want to move. <SMILE>
I think I paid between $50 and $80 for the mixer board. I don't
think it will ever wear out. I've already been through two
headsets (I'm pretty hard on them).
My advice would be to call Plantronics. <SMILE>