Re: dual source headsets, where to get?

Ward Dudley

Surely there is a converter somewhere to convert it to the 3.5mm.

On 8/14/2015 12:17 PM, Brent Harding via Jfw wrote:
He was planning on some kind of cable with the iPhone headset style 3.5mm connection on one side, a regular 3.5mm connector like computers use on the other, and the other end of the cable would plug in to any iPhone compatible headset mic. It's looking about half the price of the nearest solution I found elsewhere, which was the Plantronics SMH-1783-11, which is more for corded phones to go between the handset and phone. I don't think the phone handset connector can be adapted for iPhones though.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mario via Jfw" <jfw@...>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@...>
Cc: "Mario" <mrb620@...>
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2015 11:21 AM
Subject: Re: dual source headsets, where to get?

what I do when the need arises is to use a single earpiece headset (headphone plus a built in mic) connected to the phone and one earbud plugged into the computer. now I'd be interested in the adaptor the engineer comes up with, as I'd like to have a more elegant headpiece in attempt to eliminate all the wires.

On 8/14/2015 11:50 AM, Brent Harding via Jfw wrote:
I am wondering how you go about getting a dual source headset to be able to hear JFW on one side and have a phone call on the other side. Even better, it would be nice if the microphone sent its output back to the phone. I tried getting quotes on a sight called Thumbtack, and I spoke with a guy who answered who does audio engineering on the side. He thinks he could make a cable where I could plug any headset mic in to do this, as long as it had the combination jack that combines the headset and mic on it. If one was going to use a phone that has the same kind of jack as the iPhone, which uses the 4-band, 3.5mm connector, does such a product exist? The closes thing I found years ago was a discontinued Plantronics headset, but it only had the RJ headset plug for the phone side, which may or may not be able to be adapted. Also, I'd like something less expensive than that. I spoke with Plantronics the other day, and it appeared that what they may have had has been discontinued so long
ago that it isn't in their system any more. The guy told me that the only dual source headsets like that have to be manually switched between phone call and other source, which doesn't work if you switch to read something and the person on the other end says something you missed. What are people doing to achieve this these days?