Re: Learning JAWS scripting

Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. <kramlinger.keith@...>

I very much like your idea, and would be glad to see it become available. Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Paul Martz via Jfw
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 1:54 PM
To: JAWS Users
Cc: Paul Martz
Subject: Learning JAWS scripting

Hi all. A few days ago, there was some discussion on learning JAWS scripting. I've started learning it myself, and wanted to post some thoughts.

First, I've decided to blog about JSL as I learn it. My blog page is here:
https://skewmatrix.wordpress.com/ . No advertisements or popups, just straight information about JSL whenever I learn something interesting. The "JSL #1" post enumerates the available JAWS Scripting Language resources that I've found. Please post comments if you know of other resources.

Second, I'm toying with the idea of starting an online book project about JSL, for example at wikibooks.com. The advantage of putting this book online as a wikibook is that the information would be much more likely to stay up-to-date and relevant; people could immediately correct any typos or mistakes; and of course the book would be free to all and readily available online. I have written technical books in the past, so this wouldn't be too much of a stretch for me. (I just need to learn it first. Ha ha.)

The question is: In light of the wonderful documentation from Freedom Scientific that is already available, what kind of content would I / we need to provide in this new online resource in order to make it worthwhile? What would you like to know about JSL that you can't already learn from the FS docs? Would we want something like a brief overview of JAWS scripting? Or maybe a "quick start guide" to get you up and running with the basics? Or possibly a "scripting gems" kind of book, with several examples of JAWS scripts? Or a language reference? Or all of the above? Of course, "we don't need this, the FS docs are fine" is also an acceptable response.

Any thoughts or comments... Thanks...
-Paul