Re: Learning JAWS scripting

Mario

Paul, since no one has responded, here's my thought:

in addition to your ideas, what the blind user who wants to get into writing JAWS scripts really needs is to learn basic concepts of programming in order to do the nifty stuff, like using functions, arrays, etc.

about 12 years ago when I tried my hand at scripting,there was a document called "Everything you wanted to know about scripting, ...", written by Kenneth A. Gould. I think it's still on FS's website or some where else... it was divided into two parts.

the first part dealt with the basic stuff, like how to get started, syntax, etc. but the second part dealt with stuff that assumed that the user had prior programming knowledge about concepts, techniques, etc. like the knowledge one would attain after programming for a while... a good while.

since you've programmed for about 3 decades,... I think it was you, ... you could fill in the missing explanation that a newbie would need to comprehend before attempting to try their hand at scripting.

creating a wiki sounds like a good idea, this way other experienced programmers could also contribute to the cause, working out explainations of different concepts, and whatever else would be important. but it should be that a newbie needs to register and login in order to read and/or contribute. and I'd also suggest that only the experienced programmers have the right to add/modify these materials that teach the needed concepts and explainations, effectively preventing mis information by any newbie. the experienced programmer who would want to contribute would have to send an email request , to you?, to be approved. if this last part doesn't sit well with you, something has to be done to ensure that the newbie is not mis informed of explainations and whatever else would be important to understand.

your thoughts?

On 8/12/2015 2:53 PM, Paul Martz via Jfw wrote:
Hi all. A few days ago, there was some discussion on learning JAWS
scripting. I've started learning it myself, and wanted to post some
thoughts.

First, I've decided to blog about JSL as I learn it. My blog page is here:
https://skewmatrix.wordpress.com/ . No advertisements or popups, just
straight information about JSL whenever I learn something interesting. The
"JSL #1" post enumerates the available JAWS Scripting Language resources
that I've found. Please post comments if you know of other resources.

Second, I'm toying with the idea of starting an online book project about
JSL, for example at wikibooks.com. The advantage of putting this book online
as a wikibook is that the information would be much more likely to stay
up-to-date and relevant; people could immediately correct any typos or
mistakes; and of course the book would be free to all and readily available
online. I have written technical books in the past, so this wouldn't be too
much of a stretch for me. (I just need to learn it first. Ha ha.)

The question is: In light of the wonderful documentation from Freedom
Scientific that is already available, what kind of content would I / we need
to provide in this new online resource in order to make it worthwhile? What
would you like to know about JSL that you can't already learn from the FS
docs? Would we want something like a brief overview of JAWS scripting? Or
maybe a "quick start guide" to get you up and running with the basics? Or
possibly a "scripting gems" kind of book, with several examples of JAWS
scripts? Or a language reference? Or all of the above? Of course, "we don't
need this, the FS docs are fine" is also an acceptable response.

Any thoughts or comments... Thanks...
-Paul