From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Brad Martin
via Jfw
Sent: Sunday, August 09, 2015 12:52 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list. <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Cc: Brad Martin <brad@formyfriends.org>
Subject: Re: What do I gain with Windows 10 as a blind person?

Russell,

I think you're right on several counts. Whether to update or not is a
personal decision. My question was more a fact finding mission to
understand what I'd be getting if I updated. I'm the same way before I
buy anything--I want to know what it's going to do--either for me or to
me--when I get it. I also think that if I were running Windows 8.1, I'd
be more likely to update just to get back some of the Windows 7 feel and
functionality I lost with Windows 8.1. But since I have Windows 7
already, I think I'll just wait until I hear something compelling about
10, or until July 29, 2016 when the upgrade ceases to be free.

Brad

On 8/9/2015 9:20 AM, Russell Solowoniuk via Jfw wrote:
Hi Brad,

I purchased a new laptop last November, a Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 running
Windows
8.1. While I did get accustomed to Windows 8.1, I wasn't crazy about it. I
updated to Windows 10, and like the fact that the start menu is back. When
press the Windows key, I am placed in a search field, similar to Windows
7.
If I down arrow, I am placed in a list of my 6 most used programs, which
is
really convenient. I am finding Cortana to work quite well... when she
isn't
able to answer my query, she opens up a search page in Bing... wish the
search results could be switched to Google, but at least for now, Bing is
the only choice.

I am looking forward to trying Edge once Jaws support is available for it.

I think whether or not to update to Windows 10 is a very personal choice,
and, I also feel that we shouldn't be advised not to update just because
we
use Jaws. Having said that though, I don't think I would have updated if
my
laptop wasn't fairly new.

I've been reading the various forums and many people are experiencing
troubles with the Windows 10 update, not only users of assistive
technology,
so, as I say, the choice to update is a personal one.

For me, I'm glad I updated, but we'll see how things go once Microsoft
starts pushing out those updates! Ha ha.

Like you say, fun, fun, fun! :)

Russell