A Script for Scripts

Marquette, Ed <Ed.Marquette@...>

All:
I thought I would share this idea with the list both to test the soundness of the idea and, perhaps, to determine whether something like this already exists. If it does, I am not aware of it.
There are a number of situations where it would be nice if I had a simple script to perform a number of otherwise repetitive tasks, principally just keystrokes. So, what I'm really talking about is a macro. One can, in fact, create a script which is little more than a series of keystrokes, a macro masquerading as a script. Unfortunately, to write such a script, one needs to go through the fairly tedious process of entering the keystrokes. Even when one uses the command list box, the process is tedious, at best.
So, here is my idea.
What if some clever person were to write a script which, when activated, simply recorded keystrokes? Those keystrokes would then be written into a plain old text file, one that could be accessed with the Notepad ?
The keystrokes would be written in Jaws script format. Once the desired series of keystrokes were completed, one could turn off the key recorder script.
Then, one could go to the script manager with in JAWS, create a new script, assign a keystroke to it, and then paste in the recorded keystrokes.
That would be yet. In effect, the macro would become a script.
Of course, once in the script manager, one could add other commands such as the command to turn the voice off and turn it back on again. The point is that this process would make script writing really easy. Now, if someone is in the business of writing scripts, why would they want to write something like this?
My argument is that this script, the key recorder script, would not detract from the market for real scripts that do complicated things like reading the attributions of a Windows object. I will leave those scripts to those with the time, inclination, training, and ability to do so.
The simple macro like scripts, however, I think I can do myself, and with a tool like that described above, I would do it.
I realize there are separate programs that one can run to record and playback a series of keystrokes. I am just reluctant to add one more layer of complexity to my already too complicated computer by adding yet another program running in the background. Somehow, I don't think of a compiled script as adding that much complexity.

I. Edward Marquette
Direct Dial: 816.502.4646
Mobile: 816.812.0088
Google Voice: 408.692.5640
Facsimile: 816.960.0041
Kutak Rock LLP
1010 Grand Boulevard
Suite 500
Kansas City, MO 64106
ed.marquette@kutakrock.com

This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipient(s) above and may contain information
Thank you.