From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Paul Martz via
Jfw
Sent: Thursday, July 30, 2015 8:01 PM
To: 'The Jaws for Windows support list.'
Cc: Paul Martz
Subject: RE: learning to do scripting

There is a mailing list for JAWS scripting:
http://www.freelists.org/list/jawsscripts

I intend to learn scripting in the near future, as soon as I can clear some
time to work on it. I have made a living as a computer programmer for the
past 30 years, so I don't expect it to be difficult. It will be "just
another programming language". But if you don't have experience as a
programmer, then I imagine you might find it quite a challenge. You would
need to not only learn the JAWS scripting language, but you'd also need to
learn basic programming concepts such as syntax, build errors, iteration,
conditionals, variables, data structures, programming interfaces, software
design principles, project management, etc. These are all things I learned
in high school and college back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, so they
are ingrained in me, but they would present a significant, perhaps
insurmountable, learning curve for someone new to the area and
self-educating more or less in isolation.

Huh. After reading that, I guess I sound like some kind of know it all! Ha
ha. That was not my intent. I was just trying to point out that JAWS
scripting is, in essence, computer programming. And that's something most
people spend years learning how to do well. I just want you to know what
you're getting into.
-Paul