From: "Carolyn Arnold via Jfw" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
To: "Greg Nickel via Jfw" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Cc: "Carolyn Arnold" <4carolyna@windstream.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 6:17 PM
Subject: Re: PDF documents

Greg, Optacon stands for optical to tacticle converter. I use the Optacon
R1D. It is an electronic device which is about the size of a text book. In back of the machine is either a charger cord or just an electrical cord, if you have one without batteries. The machine is encased in a leather case that snaps open and shut.

In front of it, there is a cable on it that feels sort of like a heavy duty headset cable. At the end of this approximately 18
inch long cable is a camera that is about the size of a pocket knife. There
is a little knob at the top of the camera, so that the user can adjust it to accommodate print size.

Inside the main body of the Optacon toward the right side, as the device
faces you, there is a sort of metallic area that is about maybe an inch
across by two inches in length. This is called the stimulator array, and it contains 144 pins in six rows of 24pens. These
pins vibrate, as the shutter photographs the character where the camera is
place. So the user has a vibrating image of a printed letter, line, as in a
9 x 12 room. In such a situation, different maneuvering of the camera is required rather than reading across a straight line of printed material.

The device is a life saver for reading items like utility bills, getting
slip in window envelope correctly, checking to see if a pen writes, then
checking signature, checking to see the number on a check, and I could go on
and on.

The Optacon is 70's technology. There is an Optacon Users' group:

optacon-l@freelists.org

It is a good idea to place maybe a telephone book across a page that maybe
you printed from the computer, so that you would be familiar with the
material to start to learn to read. If you don't know the print alphabet,
you could type it on the computer, one line in caps and one not in caps, as well as a line with numbers and then punctuations, followed by writing what the punctuation mark represents. If you know print, of course, that will make
it easier. It takes some practice, which can be taxing to build the skill
needed to use the Optacon, but it is well worth the energy investment.

I will also give you information to where you can look into buying one, and
the man will answer any questions. He is very well thought of by Optacon
users. His name is Richard Oehm.

oehmelec@samobile.net

Richard Oehm

Oehm Electronics

2194C Galveston Avenue

San Jose, California 95122-3617

Telephone: (408) 971-6250

Fax: (408) 271-9188

Feel free to contact me further in this regard, and I would encourage you to join the Optacon Users' list, which, by the way, has been very quiet lately. Perhaps you could scan some of the archives.

Remember, life is what you make it,

Carolyn