From: "Brad Martin via Jfw" <jfw@...>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@...>
Cc: "Brad Martin" <brad@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 9:20 PM
Subject: Re: Does Kindle Work Well With JAWS?

My experience was quite the opposite actually. Now, let me say that for me the male voice was better than the female voice in the Kindle for PC with Accessibility plugin software, and as much as I hate slow speech, I found the slower speed less jarring than the faster rate. The male voice is Tom from the Realspeak set of voices, so it's like reading a novel being read by the guy who reads bulletins on your weather radio. Certainly it's not as good as a human narrator. Having said that, I have read entire books that way, and particularly with nonfiction, I didn't find it too bad. There are keystrokes (I can't name them right now because Kindle for PC is on my laptop and I am not) to allow you to go back to the previous page, and I think paragraph by paragraph. Also, when I close the book and reopen it, I'm at least at the top of the page where I left off. It wouldn't be my first choice for reading a book, but I haven't given up on it either, and I do love that I can buy a book like my sighted friends and start reading it in two seconds. I like it well enough to use it, but it's not my favorite way to read.

Brad
On 7/7/2015 5:13 PM, Adrian Spratt via Jfw wrote:
Rick,

I tried it several months ago with a book I needed to read on short notice. I remember finding it extremely frustrating. As I recall, I couldn't stop and have it start at the same point, but perhaps there's a bookmark function that I somehow missed. As I recall, I also couldn't conveniently go back to re-read a sentence or paragraph. As Soronel indicates, the voice was horrible to listen to and hard to comprehend. In the end, I bought the paperback and performed OCR on it so that I could read it with JAWS.