Re: Does Kindle Work Well With JAWS?

Soronel Haetir

I find slow speed jarring in and of itself. With jaws I still use
RealSpeak Emily but I normally have the rate set to 100%. But even
though Tom and Sara? (not sure which female the kindle has right off)
are the same voices as my book port and among the voices that jaws
makes available the quality is still quite a lot lower, like amazon
went with one of the smaller packages.

On 7/7/15, Brad Martin via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
My experience was quite the opposite actually. Now, let me say that for
me the male voice was better than the female voice in the Kindle for PC
with Accessibility plugin software, and as much as I hate slow speech, I
found the slower speed less jarring than the faster rate. The male voice
is Tom from the Realspeak set of voices, so it's like reading a novel
being read by the guy who reads bulletins on your weather radio.
Certainly it's not as good as a human narrator. Having said that, I have
read entire books that way, and particularly with nonfiction, I didn't
find it too bad. There are keystrokes (I can't name them right now
because Kindle for PC is on my laptop and I am not) to allow you to go
back to the previous page, and I think paragraph by paragraph. Also,
when I close the book and reopen it, I'm at least at the top of the page
where I left off. It wouldn't be my first choice for reading a book, but
I haven't given up on it either, and I do love that I can buy a book
like my sighted friends and start reading it in two seconds. I like it
well enough to use it, but it's not my favorite way to read.

Brad
On 7/7/2015 5:13 PM, Adrian Spratt via Jfw wrote:
Rick,

I tried it several months ago with a book I needed to read on short
notice. I remember finding it extremely frustrating. As I recall, I
couldn't stop and have it start at the same point, but perhaps there's a
bookmark function that I somehow missed. As I recall, I also couldn't
conveniently go back to re-read a sentence or paragraph. As Soronel
indicates, the voice was horrible to listen to and hard to comprehend. In
the end, I bought the paperback and performed OCR on it so that I could
read it with JAWS.