From: "Brad Martin via Jfw" <jfw@...>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@...>
Cc: "Brad Martin" <brad@...>
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2015 9:55 PM
Subject: Re: printer accessibility

Several points on accessibility of printers:

Stan, although Gerald is correct that many printers now have touchscreens, most functions, at least with my printer, can also be controlled with software on your computer. Although the printer that Adrian is talking about is a laser, and black and white, you seem to be in the market for another color inkjet. Brother makes a line of those, including the MFC-J870DW. As I said, my all in one came with Brother Control Center which reads surprisingly well with JAWS. I've not actually seen the 870, but older Brother inkjets came with a version of Control Center, so I would assume the 870 would too. I use Control Center 4 with JAWS 15, and it reads quite well.

Adrian, to your point about changing the toner, you find it difficult? I guess I'm used to it, having worked with a ton of Brother printers going back to the hl-2040 for work. It's really pretty easy. That's a non-JAWS topic, but if I can give you any pointers, feel free to Email me off list at brad@...

Best to all,
Brad

On 6/26/2015 11:12 AM, Adrian Spratt via Jfw wrote:
Stan,

Make sure you read Brad's very positive message from last night about his Brother model. I have the basic Brother laser jet printer, Brother HL-2270DW Compact, which I purchased from Amazon. The customer reviews there gave me tips that helped accessibility, even though they weren't directed to a visually impaired audience. The one I remember is that when the printer cartridge appears to be dying, press the start button seven times rapidly in succession to get more life out of it. I do find installing a new cartridge difficult without sighted assistance, but it's doable. With a laser printer, the need to replace cartridges is much less frequent than you will have found it with an ink jet model. Even though the price of laser cartridges is higher, they last so much longer that I suspect they're cheaper over time.

Others have posted positive experiences with HP printers. I had one for years, and it was a workhorse. However, when it finally met its maker, I replaced it with an HP 1102, the newer version of my old model. This 1102 had several problems. For one thing, the laser cartridges didn't last nearly as long. More important, pages printed out with defects, such as random lines down the middle. I called HP's customer service, but they required that I work with them in a process that would require sighted assistance. I couldn't have anyone sit with me through such a long, drawn-out procedure. Then I learned about HP's number for disabled customers. Others here have reported positive experiences with this department. Mine was aggravating in the extreme. I was on hold for more than seventy minutes before someone answered the first time I called. As I spoke to the rep, I became convinced I needed a replacement. I must have been out of warranty at that point, although I hadn't had the printer for the length of time I'd have expected, so I bought a new 1102. Almost immediately I experienced the same problems with page quality. Once again I called the line for disabled customers, and I was kept on hold for so long that I decided to say farewell to HP and hello to Brother.