From: "Adrian Spratt via Jfw" <jfw@...>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@...>
Cc: "Adrian Spratt" <Adrian@...>
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2015 12:12 PM
Subject: RE: printer accessibility

Stan,

Make sure you read Brad's very positive message from last night about his Brother model. I have the basic Brother laser jet printer, Brother HL-2270DW Compact, which I purchased from Amazon. The customer reviews there gave me tips that helped accessibility, even though they weren't directed to a visually impaired audience. The one I remember is that when the printer cartridge appears to be dying, press the start button seven times rapidly in succession to get more life out of it. I do find installing a new cartridge difficult without sighted assistance, but it's doable. With a laser printer, the need to replace cartridges is much less frequent than you will have found it with an ink jet model. Even though the price of laser cartridges is higher, they last so much longer that I suspect they're cheaper over time.

Others have posted positive experiences with HP printers. I had one for years, and it was a workhorse. However, when it finally met its maker, I replaced it with an HP 1102, the newer version of my old model. This 1102 had several problems. For one thing, the laser cartridges didn't last nearly as long. More important, pages printed out with defects, such as random lines down the middle. I called HP's customer service, but they required that I work with them in a process that would require sighted assistance. I couldn't have anyone sit with me through such a long, drawn-out procedure. Then I learned about HP's number for disabled customers. Others here have reported positive experiences with this department. Mine was aggravating in the extreme. I was on hold for more than seventy minutes before someone answered the first time I called. As I spoke to the rep, I became convinced I needed a replacement. I must have been out of warranty at that point, although I hadn't had the printer for the length of time I'd have expected, so I bought a new 1102. Almost immediately I experienced the same problems with page quality. Once again I called the line for disabled customers, and I was kept on hold for so long that I decided to say farewell to HP and hello to Brother.