From: "Brad Martin via Jfw" <jfw@...>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@...>
Cc: "Brad Martin" <brad@...>
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2015 10:52 PM
Subject: Re: Scanners.

Carolyn,

After reading the rest of my mail and seeing your other questions, I'll add to what I wrote previously.

The Brother MFC-L2740DW will scan photos, and you can do it yourself with JAWS. Of course, you would have to be able to see to crop the photos or edit them, but scanning them into your computer shouldn't be an issue. Paperport would allow you to scan directories and statements with what I think would be decent results, and you could have that scan saved into a text file or a Word document. Although it only prints and copies in black and white, it will scan in color. It has both a flat bed (a glass surface where you can lay a sheet of paper to be scanned) and a document feeder that can accept up to 35 pages. Again, it can also scan the front and back of a page in a single pass, but you must use the document feeder to do that, not the glass.

The lovely thing about this for you is that it is networkable. So you could use it wirelessly. Once you get it onto your wireless network, you and your husband could both use it without having to move a cable from one computer to the other. I want to think you can register up to five computers with the scanner.

There are a couple of things this device will do where you would need sighted assistance. For instance, from the touch screen on the device, you can scan something and have the scanner Email it to you. You can also copy documents without having to use the computer if you can see the touch screen, and you can scan a document and have it sent to your computer from the touch screen. However, keep in mind that you can scan documents to your computer from the Control Center software on your computer, and from that same software you can ask the scanner to make copies.

The only thing I can't seem to do from my computer is Email the file in a single step. I have to scan the document to my computer, then attach it to an Email myself. I'm supposed to be able to scan a document from the computer and have it open my Email program automatically, but I use Thunderbird, and I have not been successful at making this happen.

Everything I've told you that I have been able to do, I've done with JAWS 15 and Windows 7. I haven't needed sighted assistance except for programming the device to connect to my wireless network. I'm really thrilled with my purchase. I was most concerned that JAWS wouldn't read the Control Center 4 software, but once I got used to it, I can use every bit of it.

Brad

On 6/25/2015 9:30 PM, Brad Martin via Jfw wrote:
Carolyn,

You may recall that I asked a similar question a few months ago. I was looking at Brother printer/scanner/copier/fax machines, and I wondered how accessible the software would be for me. I use JAWS 15 and Windows 7 Pro.

Let me say that I didn't need color, so I bought a brother laser printer/all in one. I love it. My main concern when I posed my original question was whether or not JAWS worked with Brother's Control Center 4 software. It does, and from it I can scan and copy, and I can configure the printer myself without sighted assistance. I did have help getting the computer on my network from someone who could program it the way I wanted it, because my computer couldn't read the printer's screen until it could see the printer, which meant getting the printer on my network. It also came with Paperport for scanning documents as text. I haven't scanned much, but I did have a sheet of paper sitting on my desk, and I had no idea what it was. Popped it in the scanner, ran it through, and found out it was an expired Outback coupon. It did make a couple of errors reading the characters--it thought a / was a 1 for instance. But I was pretty happy with it for my purposes, and the software worked with JAWS just fine.

Incidentally, I bought the Brother MFC-L2740DW. I chose it because it can read both sides of a document at once. So if I scan something blank side up, I'll still get the other side when it scans "the back." A good price for it from Amazon is around $189, although right now they're asking quite a bit more for it. It will probably come back down in a week or two.

I've never used specialized software like OpenBook, so I don't have any experience with them. What I have works for my purposes.

Hope that helps,
Brad

On 6/25/2015 2:49 PM, Carolyn Arnold via Jfw wrote:
When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out there more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that or something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn