Re: Scanners.

Brad Martin

Carolyn,

You may recall that I asked a similar question a few months ago. I was looking at Brother printer/scanner/copier/fax machines, and I wondered how accessible the software would be for me. I use JAWS 15 and Windows 7 Pro.

Let me say that I didn't need color, so I bought a brother laser printer/all in one. I love it. My main concern when I posed my original question was whether or not JAWS worked with Brother's Control Center 4 software. It does, and from it I can scan and copy, and I can configure the printer myself without sighted assistance. I did have help getting the computer on my network from someone who could program it the way I wanted it, because my computer couldn't read the printer's screen until it could see the printer, which meant getting the printer on my network. It also came with Paperport for scanning documents as text. I haven't scanned much, but I did have a sheet of paper sitting on my desk, and I had no idea what it was. Popped it in the scanner, ran it through, and found out it was an expired Outback coupon. It did make a couple of errors reading the characters--it thought a / was a 1 for instance. But I was pretty happy with it for my purposes, and the software worked with JAWS just fine.

Incidentally, I bought the Brother MFC-L2740DW. I chose it because it can read both sides of a document at once. So if I scan something blank side up, I'll still get the other side when it scans "the back." A good price for it from Amazon is around $189, although right now they're asking quite a bit more for it. It will probably come back down in a week or two.

I've never used specialized software like OpenBook, so I don't have any experience with them. What I have works for my purposes.

Hope that helps,
Brad

On 6/25/2015 2:49 PM, Carolyn Arnold via Jfw wrote:
When I get my new computer at the end of the year or beginning of next, I intend to get a printer with fax and scanning capability.

So, I'm wondering, as a totally blind user of JAWS, is there a special scanner I have to get for it to be accessible? Are some scanners out there more accessible than others?

What is Open Book? I have heard of it. Would I be limited to getting that or something like that?

Thanks.

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford.

Carolyn