From: "Adrian Spratt via Jfw" <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com>
Cc: "Adrian Spratt" <Adrian@AdrianSpratt.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2015 6:18 PM
Subject: RE: Scanners.

I think there are several loose ends here, and I'll leave one or two dangling, but here goes:

Scanning involves both hardware and software. The hardware is typically a flatbed device that takes up a lot of room. I use the Hovercam, which has a tiny footprint and can easily be moved out of the way. It consists of a small base, a tallish stand, and a piece you pull out from the stand and raise above the desk surface. When purchased from IRTI, an adaptive products company in California, it comes with a mat that you unfold and lay out when you're ready to scan. The mat has raised lines that show you where to position the Hovercam and where to place the paper.

OCR (optical character recognition) software converts images on paper to digital text. You can obtain OCR software from a variety of places. IRTI has its own software, and its tech support staff will take you by phone, at no extra cost and no matter how much time it takes, through the setup process and associate the software with the Hovercam. The software you mention is FS's OpenBook. There are others.

The software you'd need to copy photographs, etc., is different. One example is Photoshop, which I believe is owned by Adobe. But this software is not OCR software. I don't know if both can be run on the same system, but I imagine they can. It just gets more expensive.

Going back to the Hovercam, although it can't do automatic feeding, you can pile a stack of pages neatly on the mat, scan the top page, remove that page, scan the next, and so on. The photographing of each page is done in literally a moment (a second or less). When you finish photographing the stack, you press a single key to start the recognition process, where the OCR software takes over and converts the pictures into text. This takes longer than scanning, but it's still fast.

As I finish, I realize I'm promoting IRTI's combination of software and the Hovercam, which I don't really mean to. For anyone needing to conserve space, the combination is ideal and IRTI makes the process simple. Obviously, other options also work. In fact, you have lots of choices, and they aren't all dependent on adaptive product suppliers. But by explaining my experience, I hope I get across the concepts involved.

One last point. There is no need of sighted assistance in the OCR process. I do it all the time on my own. Even the setup process can be done without sighted assistance, but at least for me, the help I got at that stage save me a lot of time.