Re: You need to update Skype. NOT!

Michal Nowicki <mnowicki4@...>

Skype does have both a desktop and a metro app, but not all programs have versions optimized specifically for Windows 8 and above. If this were the case, we would be able to run JAWS on Windows RT.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jfw [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com] On Behalf Of Russell Solowoniuk via Jfw
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2015 10:05 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Russell Solowoniuk
Subject: Re: You need to update Skype. NOT!

I had the same issue with not being able to close Skype after installing. I’m running Windows 8.1 as well, and wonder if we inadvertently installed the Windows App version of Skype instead of the full desktop version? I’m not to clear as to whether or not there are Windows Apps for all programs or not. Just a thought. I hardly use Skype, so not sure if it’s working or not… just installed the update because a window came up prompting me to update Skype, so I did.

HTH

Russell
On Jun 20, 2015, at 8:48 AM, Robin Frost via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

Hi,
My goodness all of this excitement. I'm running the latest build of the program with JFW 16 and though some things have changed all is going just fine. I was able to explore various options, send a chat message to someone and even see where to initiate a call should I have wished to do so and all of that even without being sure I'm running the latest Skype scripts from Doug.
Deep cleansing breaths and reasonable thought processes are a good thing.
Happy Saturday one and all.
Robin

-----Original Message----- From: Ed Marquette via Jfw
Sent: Saturday, June 20, 2015 5:40 AM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Cc: Ed Marquette
Subject: You need to update Skype. NOT!

I have never been a big fan of Skype, but the new features in Skype,
as advertised in an email message I received having a subject line
similar to the above, made it tempting.

So, I read further. Apparently, the old Skype will no longer be
supported.

Being one always willing to jump for the bleeding edge, I gave it a
try. In fairness, I didn't try to work with it for very long, but
this has to rank right up there with the most inaccessible products
I've seen on the market in the last decade. The thing brings up a
list of options that one can read, but none of them works. Even
worse, Skype hangs around and cannot be removed even with Alt-F4. I
almost entitled this message, "Is Skype really a virus?" Fortunately,
after going to the Control Panel, it was fairly easy to get rid of the
thing. Now, my computer is working normally, but I really thought I
had inadvertently introduced a virus to my computer (Windows 8.1).
I'm using JAWS 16.

So, except for those with some sight (probably quite a bit) and those
with psychological needs to inflict punishment upon themselves, I
would recommend to people that they bypass the tempting advertisements
in the Skype email message that is likely to appear in your Inbox soon
- if it has not appeared already.

Sent from my Yoga IdeaPad

I. Edward Marquette

Universal Phone: 408.692.5640