Re: track changes and Jaws & Word 2013

Kimber Gardner

Hi Lauren,

I've pasted below the text of a message from about a month ago on this
list. It deals with this exact question.

If after reading it you have questions about how to modify your quick
access toolbar, let me know. I received some rather good instructions
from another list member and would be glad to share them.

What follows is that post:

I cleared the quick access toolbar of its defaults, then added the following
commands:
- Previous change or comment.
- Next change or comment.
- Accept revision.
- Reject revision.
In that order, so you can execute them with alt+1, alt+2, alt+3, and alt+4
respectively.

I also customized the verbosity. INSERT+V to bring up JAWS settings in word,
search for "track changes" and crank up the verbosity. Then search for
"comments" and do the same. After this change, just arrowing to a modified
line will tell you number of revisions and comments. Arrowing into modified
or tagged text will tell you date of change, who the author was, etc. Very
useful.

I also use INSERT+V to change the verbosity of how JAWS reads punctuation.
When dealing with track changes, you really want this set to "all", in my
opinion.

Another way to jump around is to turn on quick nav keys with INSERT+Z. Then
"r" moves to next revision, and "n" moves to next comment. But, in my
experience, it's easy to forget that quick nav is off, and you end up
inserting a bunch of "r" and "n" characters all over the place. Beware.

Even if you can move to revisions, determining exactly what the change was
is rather a complex task. When JAWS tells you "paragraph style changed", for
example, you're left scratching your head as to exactly what was changed.
Okay, to be fair, a sighted user has the same problem.

I may have missed some things, but that's the bulk of how I do track
changes. And I just discussed this about a week ago in this very list, so
you might look back and check for posts in that thread. It might contain
info that I failed to mention in this message.

On 6/11/15, Lauren via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Hi:

How can I accept changes someone has made. I can hear Jaws say inserted or
deleted followed by what someone else has done to my document, but can't
figure out how to accept those changes so they become a seamless part of
the
document?

Sincerely,

Lauren