Re: default view details

Brad Martin

Mario,
I want to apologize. I think you were perfectly clear, but I think most of us have misunderstood your question. Please allow me to try again.

Clarification: There are two completely different things that one could call "view options.:
1. When you open a Folder, go to the Tools Menu, and go to Folder Options, there is this huge tree of options under the View tab like, "hide extensions for known file types" and "show hidden files and folders" and on it goes.
then
2. There's the "View" menu, where you can choose large icons, small icons, details, list, etc.

I now think you're asking specifically about option #2.

If I'm right, Bill's instructions are basically correct, but there's a catch. To recap:
1. Under View, set the type of view you want--details, list, small icons, etc. You can even choose which details to show, again, under the view menu.
2. Now go to Tools and Folder Options. Control Tab to the View tab, and press space bar on "Apply to Folders". You'll get a prompt asking if you want this view to apply to all folders "of this type." Answer yes and as many folders as can be changed will be changed.

I say that last part because while you and I think a folder is a folder is a folder, Windows disagrees. For instance, Windows shows different details for a folder full of music (like Title, Artist, Length) than it does a folder full of documents. So while you might have changed the details for all "document" folders, you did not change it for any "music" folders. I don't know what other types of Folders Windows has. It would be nice if a folder was just a folder, and your changes would affect all of them across the board. To my knowledge you can't tell Windows to treat all folders the same, and I think that is the root of your question, for which I do not have a good answer. Somebody else might be able to take this ball and run with it a little farther.

Hope I've been of some help,
Brad

On 5/23/2015 8:44 AM, Mario via Jfw wrote:
David, I'm using W7 pro 64.

On 5/23/2015 4:13 AM, David Bailes via Jfw wrote:
Hi Mario,
which version of windows are you using?

David.