AFB Accessible free Vidio Player

David Moore

Download the AFB Accessible Player: The American Foundation for the
Blind's Accessible HTML5 Video Player (Beta)

Developed by AFB, this fully accessible, embedded video player with
HTML5 controls includes the following features:
Users can select the size and color scheme they prefer.
Controls are labeled with text and include keyboard commands, so they
work with any kind of assistive technology, and can also be used with
a mouse.
Video can also be expanded to a full screen, which is helpful for
users with low vision.
Can be used as an embedded YouTube player or as a standard player.
Custom control layout supports English and Spanish languages.

The player is available now, if you'd like to use it on your own site.
Here's a downloadable zip file containing the AFB Accessible Player
files and instructions. We'd love to have your feedback on the AFB
Accessible Player via this quick form.
Quick Keys:
Play/Pause (ALT-SHIFT-P)
Stop (ALT-SHIFT-X)
Forward 10% (ALT-SHIFT-W)
Back 10% (ALT-SHIFT-Q)
Full Screen (ALT-SHIFT-F-ENTER)
Transcript of Video

Voice Over: Crista Earl, Director, AFB Web Services, describes the AFB
Accessible Player.

Crista Earl: One of the problems with video in general on the internet
is players are not all accessible and people have trouble getting to
the controls with the keyboard on some of them. Some of them, if you
have low vision you can't tell what's what. They're just little gray
patches. All kinds of issues with the player.

So, we created an accessible player using HTML5 technology so that it
would work with a lot of platforms, works with lots of browsers and
cross-platform whether you are using a Mac or a PC, whether you're
using a mobile device. And, it has this great change colors so if your
website has a color scheme, a high contrast color scheme or various
high contrast color schemes, the player will change with your website.
So, users with low vision can make the controls more visible and users
who use screen readers can find the controls easily.

We added keyboard shortcuts so in the middle of the video if you want
to pause it, you can just hit the key command. It varies slightly from
browser to browser to pause the video. You can make it full-screen or
make it small on the page. the user has that option. So, we really
think we put in a lot of nice features to make playing videos easy,
fun, and took all the hassle away from the user. And, a lot of hassle
away from the web designer, too. You don't have to build your own
player. Now, your job is to make accessible content and put it in the
player.

Voice Over: What are the current and future plans for the AFB Accessible Player?

So, of course we're using it on our site. We started rolling it out on
new videos. So, anytime we are putting up something new we use the new
player. But also, we are making available for download. You can get it
from AFB.org. Actually, if you go to afb.org/player,
there's a page that describes it, you can get instructions, and
download the player to put on your website.