Re: Track changes in Word 2007/2013

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much! This is very helpful! I’ll check the archives as well!

Thanks again.

Russell

On May 13, 2015, at 5:10 PM, Paul Martz via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:

I cleared the quick access toolbar of its defaults, then added the following
commands:
- Previous change or comment.
- Next change or comment.
- Accept revision.
- Reject revision.
In that order, so you can execute them with alt+1, alt+2, alt+3, and alt+4
respectively.

I also customized the verbosity. INSERT+V to bring up JAWS settings in word,
search for "track changes" and crank up the verbosity. Then search for
"comments" and do the same. After this change, just arrowing to a modified
line will tell you number of revisions and comments. Arrowing into modified
or tagged text will tell you date of change, who the author was, etc. Very
useful.

I also use INSERT+V to change the verbosity of how JAWS reads punctuation.
When dealing with track changes, you really want this set to "all", in my
opinion.

Another way to jump around is to turn on quick nav keys with INSERT+Z. Then
"r" moves to next revision, and "n" moves to next comment. But, in my
experience, it's easy to forget that quick nav is off, and you end up
inserting a bunch of "r" and "n" characters all over the place. Beware.

Even if you can move to revisions, determining exactly what the change was
is rather a complex task. When JAWS tells you "paragraph style changed", for
example, you're left scratching your head as to exactly what was changed.
Okay, to be fair, a sighted user has the same problem.

I may have missed some things, but that's the bulk of how I do track
changes. And I just discussed this about a week ago in this very list, so
you might look back and check for posts in that thread. It might contain
info that I failed to mention in this message.

Best of luck to you with this.
-Paul