Re: Reading long documents - Two questions on voices

Mario

I usually move by sentence instead of by line. this gives me a complete thought to ponder about in relation to previous sentences.

On 5/7/2015 12:34 PM, Soronel Haetir via Jfw wrote:
With material I really need to understand and that I might need to
take notes for I simply don't use say all. I will instead use line by
navigation for that sort of reading. It is way slower than say all
but I find that with say all the programs idea of cursor position gets
separated from where jaws has read to so that if I interrupt speech I
then have to work to find the spot that I was just listening to. With
line by line navigation that simply isn't a problem.

On 5/7/15, Rahul Bajaj via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Hi Ali:

Being a law student, I can totally identify with your concerns. While
I don't have any satisfactory responses, I guess one good remedy in
this case could be altering the 'say all' settings in such a way as to
ensure that JAWS pauses after whatever interval you deem fit. Also,
can you let me know what voice you are using to make it sound more
human? One problem which I sometimes face is that I am unable to
recollect what I have read after reading long chunks of text at one
go.

On 07/05/2015, Ali Abdolrahmani via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Hi,
I am a PhD student. I have to read many long papers and text books.
When I read technical papers, I have the following concerns and I
would like to know if any of members have suggestions or solutions:
1. I use sentence by sentence reading command of Jaws to be able to
capture as much as I read while reading. I pause between sentences and
sometimes take notes. My problem is when the cursor goes to the next
paragraph, I don't have any idea that the paragraph has changed.
Understanding the change in paragraph helps when you like to organize
your mind about the flow of concepts. Is there any solutions or
workarounds that we can receive an audio feedback when the cursor goes
to next paragraph?

2. Second, for long and complex technical papers, I use expressive
voices to sound to me more naturally and not make me tired. My problem
is that I need to slow down the speed of the voice to be able to
follow the complex structure of my papers. I wish I could change the
pause length between words and after punctuations instead of slowing
down the entire reading. Slowing down the entire reading makes me
tired after some while. Is there any high quality synthesizer
alternative voices that we can do this? I hope I could express what I
mean well enough for folks.

Regards
Ali

--