Re: Shortcuts for track changes in Word

Kimber Gardner

The one comment I will add to Ed's excellent instructions is there are
times when jaws has completely failed me in moving from revision to
revision. This tends to happen in large documents with many comments
and revisions. I'm talking about documents that exceed 100 pages.

I may be going along perfectly fine using the jaws quick keys to jump
from revision to revision, when suddenly jaws seems to think there are
no more revisions. For me this seems to occur somewhere around page
115 or so. I have no idea why, and neither did Freedom Scientific when
I called them.

So the bottomline is don't rely too heavily on those jaws quick keys.
It is a much safer bet to create key commands on the qat as Ed
suggested.

Good luck. You'll need it.

Kim

On 5/1/15, Ed Marquette via Jfw <jfw@lists.the-jdh.com> wrote:
Hello Paul:
I don't know that my solution has semantic significance, but here
is what I did.
I assigned the "Next" and "Previous" commands to the quick access
toolbar. That way, when I want to go forward I use Alt plus 4,
and if I want to go backwards, I use Alt plus 3. That way, I move
by revision. It is at least fast.
I thought you said you were in Word 2010. When I checked the key
sequence, I found that Alt followed by r and then f moves back a
change and Alt followed by r and then h moves forward to the next
change. (I had to check since I assigned these keys so long ago
that I forgot them.)
Actually, that key sequence does not has semantic significance at
first blush, but "r" does relate to "revisions," though it
actually stands for "review" in the Microsoft world, and f is to
the left (going backwards on a line) and h is to the right (going
forward on a line. So, it isn't impossible to remember.
To assign a key sequence to the quick access toolbar, just hit alt
and then r. Be sure to hit tab next. Then, hit right arrow until
you come to the end of the comment section. The track change
sequence of ribbon commands should come next. Then use the tab
key (otherwise, you will skip over some of the commands). You
will come to a series of 4 ribbon commands.
The first is previous revision, then comes accept and move to
next. Then follows reject and move on. Finally you come simply
to next revision.
Once you have landed on the option you want, JAWS should announce
the key sequence to get there faster. Confirm that the key
sequences I gave you (above) are correct.
Again, once there, hit the applications key and choose to put the
command you want on the quick access toolbar. You should do
previous first. That should assign it a lower numbered hotkey
(like my Alt plus 3 for previous). Then assign your next revision
key to the quick access toolbar (or QAT). That should give you a
higher number, e.g., Alt plus 4. Of course, your numbers will
depend upon what you already have on the QAT. Out of the box,
Word has some utterly worthless commands (commands where other
shortcut keys are faster). Get rid of those, and put useful ones
on the QAT.
Of course, Alt plus r and then f and Alt plus r and then h isn't
really all that bad. The only unfortunate thing is that "f" gets
associated in my mind with "forward," when it is really backward.
As for comments, the same principles apply. JAWS, however, in my
experience, does a lousy job with comments. Once inside them, it
is nearly impossible to get out and not land somewhere entirely
unexpected.
Using the Windows plus semicolon is about as good as any. Find
the comment you want that way and then tab to OK. Press ENTER and
you'll be in the document (right in front of the comment. If, in
your verbosity menu, you have turned on the reading of comments,
as your cursor passes over the comment, you will hear it.
If you ever get inside a comment and want to get out, may God have
mercy on you. The only way I've found to get out of a comment
halfway gracefully is to make sure you are in "draft" before you
start the adventure. If you are in "Print," you may have to close
down Word to get out.
If you are in "Draft," escape will get you out, but you may be
thrown to the top of the document.
Also, you know JAWSKEY plus z allows you to use navigation keys.
In a small document, those work OK. In a big document, not so
much.
Hope this helps. As I mentioned in a recent post DO NOT depend on
JAWS commands to tell you the color of the track changes. JAWS,
especially JAWS 16, is hopelessly unreliable.