From: jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com [mailto:jfw-bounces@lists.the-jdh.com]
On Behalf Of Farfar on Laptop
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 12:34 PM
To: The Jaws for Windows support list.
Subject: Re: Jaws and office 2010

Kirsten,

Have a couple answers, at least...

On my work laptop I have jaws 11 and office 2007. Next week they are
planning to upgrade all our laptops to office 2010. Will jaws 11 definitely
work with it or will I have to upgrade to jaws 12?

I think so, but I'll let someone who has 2010 give you that answer.

On a related note, if I have an SMA, can I just go to the website and
download the latest versions of jaws? (at home on my sma I get a cd in the
post, but have never got anything from S&S at work except junk mail) ...

Yes, you can download the latest version of JAWS 12 as a file to your hard
drive and launch it from there (which I strongly recommend over the
automatic updates). If you don't have any SMA remaining then you'll need to
purchas or run in 40-minute demo mode.

I don't want to be left without a working laptop so I need to know from
people who have used it that it works, also, how different is 2010 from
2007?

From what I've heard, not too much different. Since you already know about
the ribbon you'll not be affected much by that transition.

And, can I get a converter so I can open files on my 2007 machine at home?

I'm sure 2010 will allow you to save in an earlier format, but frankly don't
think there's going to be any difference between 2010 files and 2007 files.
I suspect that 2010 is just adding more features. Not like the change from
Office 2003 to 2007.

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.