Re: lost instructions to make Firefox and Thunderbird work better withJaws
Bill White <billwhite92701@...>
Hi, Robert. I am posting the complete instructions here to make Thunderbird and Firefox readable with the JAWS cursor and in dialogue boxes. Previous posts have not included all the instructions.toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
When using Mozilla Firefox version 4 or newer, reviewing web pages using the JAWS Cursor is problematic. Mozilla is using a new graphical technology in Firefox version 4 and newer which bypasses the offscreen model, (OSM). Since JAWS For Windows depends on the OSM to allow the user to review the screen using the JAWS Cursor, things don't work the same as with older versions of Firefox, (such as version 3.6).
1. Launch Mozilla Firefox.
2. Press Control-L to open a new link.
3. Type "about:config" and press Enter.
(All commands to type do not include the quotation marks)
4. If you are presented with a dialog which warns you about the dangers of making changes, Tab to the "I'll be careful, I promise!" button and press Enter.
5. At this point you should be out of Virtual Cursor mode and on a filter Edit Box. If not, turn off Virtual Cursor mode by pressing JAWS Key - z.
6. In the filter Edit Box type "direct2d.disabled".
7. Press Tab to get to the list of filtered entries and you should see one called "gfx.direct2d.disabled" with a default value of False.
8. Press Enter to toggle this value to True.
9. Press Shift-Tab to get back to the filter Edit Box and type "layers.acceleration.disabled".
10. Press Tab to get to the list of filtered entries and you should see one called "layers.acceleration.disabled" with a default value of False.
11. Press Enter to toggle this value to True.
12. In the filter Edit Box type "composition.enabled"
13. Press Tab to get to the list of filtered entries and you should see one called
layers.offmainthreadcomposition.enabled with a value of true
14. Press Enter to toggle this value to False.
15. Press Control-W to close the configuration window.
16. Restart Firefox.
you should now be able to use the JAWS Cursor to review web pages while using Mozilla Firefox version 36.0.1 and newer.
Bill White email@example.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Logue via Jfw" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
To: "The Jaws for Windows support list." <email@example.com>
Cc: "Robert Logue" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2015 5:35 PM
Subject: lost instructions to make Firefox and Thunderbird work better withJaws
I reset Firefox and now some areas of the browser don't read as well with Jaws 15 and 16. Would someone please re post the fantastic instructions to edit the Firefox configuration file to make Jaws and other screen readers work better with it? Please, also send a link to the source if it is published.
__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11535 (20150426) __________
The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.