From: "Ed Marquette via Jfw" <jfw@...>
To: "Dennis" <dennisc67@...>; "'The Jaws for Windows support list.'" <jfw@...>
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2015 8:16 AM
Subject: Colors Track Changes in Word 2010 Windows 8.1 and JAWS 16

All:

I originally posted this. I have officially gone back to JAWS 15 for track changes. Here is why.

I have both JAWS 15 and 16 on my Windows 8.1 machine. So, I thought it would be a good test.

In the same document, on the same machine, using the same Word 2010, and the same Windows 8.1 operating system, I found these differences:

In the review ribbon under track changes:

JAWS 15 read all of the “options” in the track changes ribbon

JAWS 16 botched the prompts, reading a heading instead of, for example, the color. I had to use JAWS Key plus up arrow to read the prompts (and then it was laborious).

With insertions set to grey and deletions set to green:

In the same document, JAWS 15 consistently read colors; however JAWS’s description of the colors did not match Microsoft’s color description.

JAWS 16 completely failed, reading “black on white” or “black on black.”

I guess I would rather have a wrong color than no color.

The above is not scientific or conclusive, but it is enough to cause me to keep my JAWS 15 loaded and active. I think this is a nother case where Freedom Scientific either fixed something and broke something else or added a feature somewhere that broke functionality elsewhere. This is a significant reverse in functionality.

I am not even going to load JAWS 16 on my Windows 7 machine, which I use at work.

Have a great day!