Re: Colors Track Changes in Word 2010 Windows 8.1 and JAWS 16

Carolyn Arnold <4carolyna@...>

As one planning to replace computer when Windows 10 is out, I certainly hope that JAWS 17 is out by then. I recall Microsoft had a Windows program that wasn't as satisfactory as what they'd had and the next one is better, as I'm hoping that 10 will be better than 8.1.

GIFT (God is forever true),

Carolyn

----- Original Message -----
To: "Dennis" <dennisc67@...>; "'The Jaws for Windows support list.'" <jfw@...>
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2015 8:16 AM
Subject: Colors Track Changes in Word 2010 Windows 8.1 and JAWS 16

All:

I originally posted this. I have officially gone back to JAWS 15 for track changes. Here is why.

I have both JAWS 15 and 16 on my Windows 8.1 machine. So, I thought it would be a good test.

In the same document, on the same machine, using the same Word 2010, and the same Windows 8.1 operating system, I found these differences:

In the review ribbon under track changes:

JAWS 15 read all of the “options” in the track changes ribbon

JAWS 16 botched the prompts, reading a heading instead of, for example, the color. I had to use JAWS Key plus up arrow to read the prompts (and then it was laborious).

With insertions set to grey and deletions set to green:

In the same document, JAWS 15 consistently read colors; however JAWS’s description of the colors did not match Microsoft’s color description.

JAWS 16 completely failed, reading “black on white” or “black on black.”

I guess I would rather have a wrong color than no color.

The above is not scientific or conclusive, but it is enough to cause me to keep my JAWS 15 loaded and active. I think this is a nother case where Freedom Scientific either fixed something and broke something else or added a feature somewhere that broke functionality elsewhere. This is a significant reverse in functionality.

I am not even going to load JAWS 16 on my Windows 7 machine, which I use at work.

Have a great day!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.the-jdh.com/pipermail/jfw_lists.the-jdh.com/attachments/20150417/17f633b3/attachment.html>

Join main@jfw.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.