Re: Jaws 13 out next week

Dave...

Holgar,

That's not a true beta test in the sense I mean. A true beta test is to have
a team of internal Freedom Scientific power-users who are assigned specific
features and test specific applications on a new platform, trying all sorts
of combinations and permutations, then feeding the results back to the
development team. This ensures that all aspects of the software, both new
features and original features are tested to make sure they all play
together.

What FS does is actually a disservice to the customers, as it really says
that they don't have the resources or patience to do all the necessary
brute-force testing inside their walls. Instead they push out the product
and hope that the general user population will somehow catch the bugs they
could not.

And in fact the testing done by the general public is not structured so not
a chance that it will cover all the areas that need testing. I would expect
that most of the public beta-so-called-testers are just users who want an
early copy to try out and start using, and don't bother wringing out all the
capabilities and combinations of applications for integrity. It's a lot like
shooting craps, and hoping that you eventually cover all the possible bets
in a single evening.

Dave Carlson
From my Dell Latitude 630.