Re: Creating headers in Word 2010 with JAWS

Mike B. <mb69mach1@...>

Hi Adrian,

See if these notes I've saved help you any:

From: Barbara Anne Bolin
A quick way to set text with a heading is:
CTL + ALT + 1 = heading level 1
CTL + ALT + 2 = heading level 2
CTL + ALT + 3 = heading level 3
Pressing JAWS Key + F will verify the heading was set.
You do not have to highlight the data before using the above key strokes.
Everything on that line will be given the requested heading level.

You can increase a heading level with shift + ALT + right arrow.
You can decrease a heading level with shift + ALT + left arrow.

These are WORD keys, not JAWS keys.
They have been extremely useful to me.
Always,
Barbara Anne
BarbaraAnne1@...

From: Ed Marquette
Barbara Ann is absolutely correct. The template in use, however,
needs to have the heading levels set as desired. They really are
styles. So, if the default headings aren't what you want, modify
the style. Once you have opened the modify style sheet, hit shift
tab to "Format."
Then, hit ENTER. The dialog box gives you choices as to font,
numbering, paragraph alignment, and so on.
If you ever need Heading 4 style, be aware that control plus alt
plus 4 won't work. Instead, press control plus shift plus s for
"styles." Then hit "h" for headings. Arrow down past headings 1,
2, and 3 to heading 4 and press enter. Of course, the same
principle applies for heading 5 and so on.

After you have used a style from the strategy identified above,
the style pane will be open. You may want to get rid of the
styles pane. Just hit F-6 until it comes up, press shift space,
and arrow to "close."
One more thing.
Barbara said the style will apply to the line. Actually, it will
apply to the whole paragraph. So, if you don't want to insert a
carriage return (or a style separator) between the heading style
and the rest of the paragraph (I do this in contracts), Highlight
the part of the paragraph you want in the heading style. Then
apply the style to that part of the paragraph.
Ed

From: Nicole Massey
Those heading styles should be contained in your normal.dot as well, so
making a copy of this and just dropping it in if something goes wonky should
also work.
Nicole

From: Dave "Farfar" Carlson
Barbara Anne,
Very nice. It's always good to have shortcuts presented as reminders. I
wonder if the same increase and decrease commands will change outline
levels, as well...
Dave Carlson
San Francisco Bay Area semi-retired sales engineer, Farfar, musician, and
woodworker.
dgcarlson@...

From: Dave "Farfar" Carlson
Barbara Anne,
Excellent! I just tried it out on an outline I was struggling with several
weeks ago. If I had only known about these increase/decrease commands, it
would have saved me literally an hour's worth of headache.
Dave Carlson
San Francisco Bay Area semi-retired sales engineer, Farfar, musician, and
woodworker.
dgcarlson@...

Take Care.
Mike